WF on Apple Watch

Morning - Just wondering if there is a way to get the WF app data on the Apple Watch as a complication? It would be nice to get the feed onto the display as part of the watch dial. I know notifications come across but seeing the data on the watch would be great…

Andy

2 Likes

It can be done, but isn’t on the short term roadmap yet.

2 Likes

The Weather UnderWHO app has a complication that can display your PWS temperature as a complication if you send data to them. It is the only reason why I keep the WU app around! Of course, people look at me funny when they see me look at my watch for the temperature.

IMG_3350

IMG_3351

1 Like

oh thats a good call and probably the one reason to keep WU - its nice that you can set it to your own pws so it updates the data.

There is also a route via node red and an app called complications:

Seems to be quite interesting for a custom complication via a data input in node red and then out to the watch,

edit- also Pushover seems to do the same thing:

Andy

1 Like

if you have Carrot Weather and you send data to PWS weather stations, you have the option to get your station data shown when within the radius chosen in Carrot and on the watch.

other option I use, works neat

1 Like

I made one for my own data site (I assume that is what you are thinking of). I had ‘tabs’ for webcam images, an ‘exercise’ type set of circles for wind speed and direction, a table for tide data, and a tab for weather forecasts. So it can be done.

1 Like

That sounds interesting to me to set up for the iWatch users around me. Can you tell a little more details how you did ?
Thanks.

Thanks for the hints - Carrot is good, i like the way you can set it to pull in the data from your own PWS - i am using WF in weewx and then uploading to PWS, this allows Carrot to access the data.

IMG_1790

I am also trying out getting complications in via Node Red and the Complicated App (https://mikelyons.org/complicated/) to give a bit more personalization - so i also have my WF upload to Weather Display, which gives text based weather conditions to the top part of the dial and weewx via MQTT, and Node Red for the rain fall for the day in the bottom left.

IMG_1791

2 Likes

I send my weather data to a server on the internet (because, like many, I have the data displayed on a website). In the Apple Watch app I use a simple web pull for the data. The rings were available as a sample app, and I used the watch Sikkens in the Xcode environment to create the interfaces.

It hasn’t worked for a while since my Davis instrument t dies and I am still getting my WeatherFlow instrument data up to the website, but it will.

If you have more questions I will try to answer them.

Jack

1 Like

I am attaching some of the art from my AW app (Third Ave Suite, specific to 3rd Ave in the Bay Area) just so you know what I did.

4 Likes

Must you subscribe to Carrot’s “super premium” tier in order to see your WF station’s data on the Apple Watch?

What about the Dark Sky weather app? Does that let you pick your WF station’s data to display on the Apple Watch?

I’m trying to find a simple way to get my WF station’s data on to my Apple Watch. Searching this forum, I’ve seen that some folks are using Carrot Weather. Must you subscribe to Carrot’s “super premium” tier in order to see your WF station’s data on the Apple Watch, or will simply buying the app for $5 do the trick?

I’ve noticed that the weather forecast showcased in the WeatherFlow iOS app links to DarkSky.net. Would the DarkSky iOS app display my WF station’s data?

The easiest way is to use carrot on teir 2 - 10.99 a year or a monthly fee. I would try it for a month and see how it works. I think it works with weather underground (?) but I am using weew to publish to pws which carrot then displays… you can also use weather display…

Andy

We are working with the developer of CARROT Weather to add native support for your Smart Weather stations. Stay tuned…

11 Likes

If you need testing, for sure you’ll find a few around :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

My Apple Watch is lonely since the WU app broke a few months ago…

1 Like

This is fantastic news! Please keep us posted.

I have my weather station publishing to PWS and set Carrot to use this data so I could see it on my iPhone and Apple Watch. But now PWS can’t seem to see my data. It says “Old/No Data”. Weather Underground is able to see my data but not PWS. any suggestions?

Is your weather l visible on the PWS site ? In your station list, is it active ??
First step is already making sure the data is going correctly to there (meteobridge ?? Other software ?)

No, it’s not active on the PWSweather site.

I realized that the way I originally got my data to PWS was through a gentleman on the Rachio website who was porting folks’ WF data to PWS for them. (Rachio sprinkler timers can take advantage of WF station data to determine how long to water your lawn.) It was very kind of him but now I realize I’m totally dependent on him to have his system operational. It appears he’s still doing it for folks as recently as three days ago so I have hope he’ll rectify the situation quickly. If not, I’ve played around with Raspberry Pi’s since getting my WF station so I’ll probably try my hand at getting myself online.

1 Like