WeatherFlow PiConsole - Archive

or user selectable :slight_smile:

Hi. I have recently updated wfpiconsole and the OS on a pi4. The console no longer starts. I have run wfpiconsole start as well as autostart-enable (with a reboot). the log is very small and not helpful. Any help is appreciated.

[INFO ] [Logger ] Record log in /home/pi/.kivy/logs/kivy_21-02-03_24.txt
[INFO ] [Kivy ] v1.11.1
[INFO ] [Kivy ] Installed at “/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/kivy/init.py”
[INFO ] [Python ] v3.7.3 (default, Jul 25 2020, 13:03:44)
[GCC 8.3.0]
[INFO ] [Python ] Interpreter at “/usr/bin/python3”
[INFO ] [Factory ] 184 symbols loaded
[INFO ] [Image ] Providers: img_tex, img_dds, img_sdl2, img_pil, img_gif (img_ffpyplayer ignored)
iders: img_tex, img_dds, img_sdl2, img_pil, img_gif (img_ffpyplayer ignored)

Is that the full contents of the log as it isn’t showing any errors? Can you copy the contents of the file wfpiconsole.log here so I can have a look?

surprisingly it is the full contents

Weird. I’m not sure what to suggest here. It just looks like the Python GUI is not starting. Unfortunately I think the best solution would be to start with a clean OS flashed onto the SD card and a reinstall of the PiConsole. Sorry!

Just out of curiosity is there anyone out there industrious enough to be making these and selling them done for those of us that don’t want to code and wade through it?

How much would you pay for that ?

Underlying problem is that you have to set up a personal CheckWX API Key and a personal WF Personal Access Token so that you can answer the questions on first boot. Nobody can do that for you. Those tokens should be treated like private information ala a password.

You also have to identify which station and sensor(s) you have, which is unique to you as well.

With some modifications to @peter’s code, it is probably possible to cook up a pre-installed yet unconfigured package of the app, but ultimately you would need to at least log into the pi and answer the questions so the software can function.

So I’m not seeing a lot of value there other than perhaps not needing to wait for the installer. Personally I just hit ‘ok’ and walk away for a while.

I would easily pay up to $300 for an easy button that has the equipment and step by step instructions in a simple format.

The problem is while it looks great and I see links for a monitor on Amazon etc I still don’t understand what else I need or next steps.

Scott

Wow. Approximate costs are $70 for the screen, $30 for a nice case it fits into, $40 for a pi, $10 for a good SD card, $10 for a good power adaptor. So you’re in the $150 ballpark for hardware plus or minus deals/shipping/taxes for your location.

For software you would download a RaspiOS desktop image and burn it to your SD card. Their docs are (here). Watch their 40 second video showing how to do this. They have imaging software for Mac and Windows.

You’d need to edit ‘one’ file to get it on your home wireless network, or alternately if you’re wired ethernet you can likely just plug it in and your home router likely will supply the network config.

You’d need to set up a WF Personal Access Token via the WF process. I can’t find a great doc for this, but the last paragraph in step-2 (here) says how to get one.

You’ll need to look up your station ID and sensor ID(s) for your home station. This is available in the mobile app if I recall correctly.

You’d need to set up a CheckWX API key (and account) via their website (here)

You’d log into the pi with keyboard+mouse (likely) and run the one-liner installation instructions on Peter’s web page. The installer will prompt you for the keys and IDs you saved above.

And that’s it.

3 Likes

@peter
Just got a NEW (to me) Tempest Weather Station. I still have and continue to operate my WeatherFlow SKY & AIR - (charter member) on a PiConsole device(s).

I will then have two HUBs (Weather Stations) configured in my Tempest iPhone app.

Will I need another CheckWX API key & WF Personal Access Token for this new Tempest setup?
(or can I use my current ones?) to setup a new separate PiConsole.

Nope, you should be able to use the same ones. Just remember that both will count towards you usage limits (although I doubt you will be getting anywhere near to them).

1 Like

@peter

Thanks Peter…

I’m looking forward to the Tempest. Curious to see any differences in data collection/readings.

Nice! Looking in to this soon:)

I just got this set up on a Pi4 and it’s outstanding! Thanks for the quick help through GitHub on the install issue I had.

Two questions: (1) it asked whether I had an indoor air station, which I don’t, but I’d like to. Is that something sold by WeatherFlow?

(2) My Pi4 enclosure has a touch-screen. Is there any way to make a desktop shortcut I can use to launch it since I do not plan to keep a keyboard connected?

Thanks!

I wouldn’t bet a paycheck on this answer but I understand the indoor station is something that was previously available but is not currently.

See if the info at GitHub - peted-davis/WeatherFlow_PiConsole: Raspberry Pi Python console for WeatherFlow Tempest and Smart Home Weather Stations is what you are looking for.

Hi,
I am trying to install WeatherFlow PiConsole on a Raspberry with an newly installed Raspbian OS, but the installation stopped with an error:

Error: Unable to install Python module: autobahn[twisted]

error: Can not find Rust compiler

ERROR: Failed building wheel for cryptography
Failed to build cryptography
ERROR: Could not build wheels for cryptography which use PEP 517 and cannot be installed directly

I did this on another Raspberry Pi a couple of weeks ago without any problems.
Does anyone have a clue how to solve this problem?

@meikelbecker, this is an issue that I was first alerted to yesterday (thanks @transier.home). You just need to run this command from a terminal:

python3 -m pip install --user cryptography==3.3.2

and then run the installer. I am currently working on a fix.

@transier.home, unfortunately as @GeekNJ said, there was the old Air module that could be used as an indoor sensor. This has been discontinued. The indoor option is a legacy option for those who have one. I am working on replacing the indoor sensor display with other metrics for those users who don’t have an indoor sensor. There is no way to make a desktop shortcut, but you can get the console to auto-start at boot. Follow the instructions linked above!

@peter, thanks this was a very quick fix. The installation is now running.

1 Like

updated with no glitch, all seems ok for now :wink:

1 Like

Hello Peter.
thank you very much again :+1:, today in the morning the weather forecast ran again, without restarting wfpiconsole.

Now I have updated to the new version, no problem, the console is running.
I hope the forecast does not go out again in the evening :blush:

1 Like