WeatherFlow PiConsole - Archive

This is great. Congratulations!

6 Likes

great

I was looking at a little screen for one of my pi’s and how to get data from the station on there as a desk console … think I just saw the solution :ok_hand:

@GaryFunk : time to update your wiki post

5 Likes

I love those iniatives!

3 Likes

I’m going to order the 7" screen just for this.

6 Likes

Silly question - Why is the wind reading in MPH when everything else is metric?

Since I have the required official screen on a Pi3 just waiting for a killer app like this, I’ll be the first person to ask for a download link to try it out…

4 Likes

I hate you. :smile:

With all my love,

Gary

P.S. Where did you order your screen?

1 Like

If you don’t have your own website, GitHub is good for distribution. You can write a shell script to handle Installation.

5 Likes

A shell script for installation is a great idea. Didn’t think of that! The code is already on GitHub, but I think I need to utilise the README.md a bit more for sharing the instructions…

4 Likes

ooooooooohhhhhh that is really nice…

1 Like

my station is in customs, but in anticipation I already bought some batteries, and I’m about to buy a ladder, to be able to mount it, and now I might be tempted to buy a raspberry pi with screen. This looks great.:ok_hand:

1 Like

I picked it up from Amazon in 2016. I did not find the display particularly useful, and only use that Pi tucked in a corner as a test mule for weewx and Homebridge driver development. Given the price and resolution, I’m still a firm believer in the use of a cheap 7" Android tablet because they are thinner and have higher resolution.

As I said, I’m hoping that this is the killer app that will finally make the “meh” official Pi display useful for something…

4 Likes

That’s my issue. The display isn’t good and for the resolution it is overpriced.

5 Likes

I agree - I don’t understand why they designed the screen with such a low resolution, and with non-square pixels to boot!

On the upside though, I find the display increases the versatility of the Pi enormously, and the resolution is not too bad. It certainly doesn’t look pixelated from any sensible distance. It also allows me to run a console, your Archiver (when my station arrives in the mail!), a VPN, and whatever else comes in mind in the future in a single, compact, low energy system.

I’d highly recommend this stand for the screen as well - https://smarticase.com/collections/all/products/smartipi-touch. Getting the angle right made the single best improvement to the quality of the display.

I’d love to give this a whirl - where can I download?
Thanks
-Coley.

1 Like

Wow that is nice, great work.

1 Like

firstly well done i hope it becomes a useful feature for weatherflow hardware .

i did not realise you were mixing up elements from stuff I did two years ago or more for ws1001 console screens .

if you need cleaner weather icons for the darksky data let me know i can easily batch convert the original SVG current stuff I use into png .not knowing at all about pi raspberry stuff i dont know if it would support SVG image/icons .if so I have all this stuff in original AI /Sketch formats mostly at 1024x1024 dimensions which makes scaling for more cleaner. anyway well done wish I had some knowledge of Pi stuff but i dont so i take my hat off too you and wish you lots of success and Im sure it will evolve …it always does…

3 Likes

Three words…price point engineering. Every hardware decision made by the Raspberry Pi Foundation has to consider price over everything else, since their products are developed as throwaway education tools and not as a replacement for more powerful devices…

5 Likes

You make a good point - it is easy to forget that the Raspberry Pi was designed as an educational tool!

2 Likes

Before I came across the WeatherFlow Indiegogo campaign I was very close to buying a ws1001. I found the work you had done on the replacement screens, and it was the original inspiration to do something on the Raspberry Pi knowing that WeatherFlow were not releasing a console along with the AIR and SKY modules.

All the icons have to be in .png when they are displayed on the console, but the source files for all the icons I am currently using are in SVG format. I you are happy to share what you have it would be great to take a look? I have plenty of future ideas in mind - changeable units being at the top of the list!

1 Like

Just posting a pic of my Pi screen with PyConsole running - huge thanks to Peter for walking me through it (turns out i needed a new install of the operating system and then everything else worked)…

So nice to have an active and helpful development community…

Andy

14 Likes