WeatherFlow PiConsole - Archive

Fingers crossed! Let me know if it does though, and I will look into it further

Thank you very much Peter, itā€™s working so far, and the time has already passed over 19 hours, yesterday the forecast collapsed by this time. :blush:

Looks like you fixed it, thank you very much :+1:

Iā€™m sorry, but I have one more question, this time to adjust the brightness of the display.

By default, piConsole may have a brightness that is too high, the colors are not very saturated, is it possible to easily reduce the brightness of the original 7 "touch display?

Iā€™ve looked for different solutions on the web, but I still miss the clear and simple solution. Thank you very much.

Yes, very possible. You have two solutions.

First is the manaul solution detailed here: raspbian - Adjusting the Brightness of the Official Touchscreen Display - Raspberry Pi Stack Exchange

The second is a Python module that can be used from the command line or as a GUI: rpi-backlight Ā· PyPI

Hi @peter,

First off Iā€™m loving the Weatherflow PiConsole!!! I have a question though how easy is it to increase the size of the date/time at the bottom of the display or even better to have a dedicated panel that shows the time and the date in DD/MM/YYYY (Cheeky future feature request maybe :stuck_out_tongue: )

2 Likes

Thanks!

Not hard at all. On line 52 of file kvlang/displayFields.kv you will find the definition of the TimeDateField. The font size is set as:

font_size: dp(19.6*app.scaleFactor)

Replace 19.6 with a higher number and the font size will increase.

This should be relatively easy. I will have a look at it for the next release.

1 Like

Thanks, ill give that a go.

Awesome :smiley: Until then ill make do with increasing the font.

Is removing the comma after the day easily done?

Yes, in the file lib/system.py you can remove the comma from the DateFormat string. Make sure you edit the correct variable based the date format you have selected in the Settings.

1 Like

I use this ā€¦ works GREAT!

raspi2png - to Install ā€¦

curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/AndrewFromMelbourne/raspi2png/master/installer.sh | bash -

raspi2png -p screenshot-console.png

1 Like

Thank you so much :blush: :+1:

Hey @stevecodyā€¦ Iā€™m new to tempest and python, but really love what you did with the outdoor panel with large temperature. Do you mind sharing how you did that? I tried to configure the settings myself but it was a total fail. Thanks!

Hey @tatebutler,

Iā€™ve written instructions before but the process has changed a bit since I originally made them. Since I have to repeat the process for the currrent update, Iā€™ll update my instructions and send them to you.

Steve

Is there a ā€œlight modeā€ for the Pi Console on an RPi? Iā€™m going to be using the console outside and a light background and dark fonts would be more easily viewable.

2 Likes

Hi Peter
sorry to keep ā€œbugging youā€

Is there an easy way to get just the following fields from your brilliant console to send to the serial port

ā€˜WindSpdā€™
ā€˜outTempā€™
ā€˜Presā€™
ā€˜PresTrendā€™
ā€˜outAirVoltageā€™

I want to send them via serial port to test a gauge Iā€™m trying to make
If it works Iā€™ll obviously share all the details about the gauge

I sat up my first PiConsole today.
Very nice. I am planning to build another for myself - and one to gift to my neighbor.

Some suggestions:

The ability to remove the word Outdoor, and make the Temperature larger and in bold.
Likewise ability to omit direction degrees and make the speed larger and bold.

The ability to optionally ā€œscheduleā€ a toggle of the Solar/Moon panel
X minutes after sunset/sunrise.

Thank You for all the efforts to make this happen.
I always wanted a weather display like this since I was a child. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@lenny - ā€œā€¦The ability to remove the word Outdoor, and make the Temperature larger and in boldā€¦ā€

Good idea - I would just like to add that the ā€œOutdoorā€ display could be exchanged for a larger and bolder outdoor temperature displa in this way if the ā€œIndoorā€ temperature display is switched OFF in the configuration.

It should be okay @peter?

Hi @lewtesco, this probably wouldnā€™t be hard, but it is going to require some coding. There is a Python module called PySerial that allows Python to access a serial port. You can see the details here: Welcome to pySerialā€™s documentation ā€” pySerial 3.4 documentation

To use it you are either going to need to write a function similar to the one I put together for your indoor sensor (see the post here: Announcements & Updates - #1569) that is called every minute and sends those observations to the serial port. Or alternatively you can edit the file lib/websocket.py to send the observations to the serial port at the same time as they are parsed from the individual websocket messages.

Iā€™m afraid Iā€™ve never used the serial module before, so canā€™t offer much advice there.

@lenny, @bruce4, @padamec these are all good suggestions and I will make a note for future versions. Unfortunately I am quite busy with other projects at the moment so I canā€™t guarantee a time scale.

Just fyi, if you are happy coding in Python and you want to make a contribution towards the project then I am very happy for Pull Requests to be submitted over on the GitHub page. Issue the Pull Request against the development branch and I will review the changes for inclusion in the next release

1 Like

Thanks Peter, Iā€™ll let you know how I get on with PySerial

Just my 2pence worth

ā€œlight modeā€ would be awesome
The Time/Date make it in a box the same as the other boxes, but move it to the top instead of the bottom
Is the actual degree Ā° number needed as well as the direction in words?
as said earlier, if it was omitted then the windspeed could be larger
auto switch of the Solar/Moon panel X minutes after sunset/sunrise would be great
Is the time of the min/max pressure and the hpa/hr needed? The numbers in the barometer could be larger then
Have the lightning make the screen flash or flashing colours or something to draw attention to it if it detects lightning even if the lightning section isnā€™t on the main screen
Times of min/max temperatures? if they were an option then those that didnā€™t want it could have the temperatures a slightly larger font ?
Why is there 2 different wind speeds on either side of the wind direction circle?
Average and Gust speeds are already showing above it and I donā€™t actually know what they are for, unless they are min and max speeds at the moment? but if so are they needed?

Absolutely brilliant program, and I bought the Pi Touch display just to use this and I really love it :grinning:
You should set a donate button so people can buy you a beer or something

btw noted about you being busy and unable to implement any changes, those are just my suggestions

For indoor temp/humidity
Consider Adafruit AHT20 it uses the JST connectors and cables are available that will plug direct into the Pi header pins

for Air Quality PMS5003 Particulate Matter Sensor with Cable and Particulate Matter Sensor Breakout for Pimeroni
PM2.5 Air Quality Sensor and Breadboard Adapter Kit from PiHut is the same item

I suggested the AHT20 over the Enviro+ or BME280 which the Enviro uses as they have unreliable self heating temperature fluctuations and the AHT20 has a typical accuracy of Ā± 2% relative humidity, and Ā±0.3 Ā°C with no self heating issues

1 Like