Tempest Weather App : what changes would you propose?

Also might add severe weather notifications.

I think adding CWOP sharing capability with the WU would be nice.

3 Likes

My wife and some friends/neighbors would like to receive the push alerts from my station on their phones. They like knowing when rain has started, and lightning alerts. The only way to get this is with the station owner account. I don’t want to give this out as this allows them to post as me and make changes to the station. A station guest account would be nice so others can use app for my station. Might also get friends interested to one day buy a station of their own. Weatherflow deals/offers could even be shown to those using a guest type account.

8 Likes

IFTTT app can send alerts to your wife and friends. But I’ve never used the IFTTT app before to do that so I can’t help you much in terms of the process of setting it up.

1 Like

Thats a thought, but would be nice to have a guest (non-owner) account or app that they could use and get the info directly. My wife likes the new Tempest app with the forecast and all. Same with a couple of my neighbors, but like I said, I don’t want to give them my login information, thus the request for a new feature here.

Couldn’t agree more. My Chamberlain garage door opener has this feature–I can share guest access with my wife, but she doesn’t get admin level controls to change the settings. So does my Rachio sprinler app. Seems like this feature is a no-brainer. My wife is already complaining that she can’t view the weather station herself . So for now, she has to use Weather Underground I’ve linked to, but I don’t like that option as well.

1 Like

your wife could use the web interface. it almost looks exactly the same (on purpose I assume)

I would like to see the follow

1. time period stats (Week, month and annual) total rain fall, min max winds ect.
  2. ability to add others stations for you to review with out specific link. A few of my friends in the area so we like to compare data or view each others.
  3. Widgets
  4. guest access without your account information.
6 Likes

I would prefer to have the main display window to show the “Daily” and “Yearly” rainfall amounts. I don’t need to know how much it rained “Yesterday”, but would prefer having the total accumulation for the “Year”.

10 Likes

I too would like this feature. I asked support about this before I bought a station back in February of 2018. This was their response.

“A manager from the Smart Weather Station team got back to me and confirmed that recording accumulated rainfall is on their roadmap of things to implement. I would assume that we would have that feature by the time SKY is released (estimated to be April). Also, you can pull the rain accumulation data daily from our API to track it yourself. Here is a link to our API if you want to poke around: https://weatherflow.github.io/SmartWeather/api/

Doesn’t seem to be very high on their priority list considering that was 16 months ago.

1 Like

I would like a YTD option as well. If not in the main page, maybe under the history tab. The developers have likely been focused on getting the rain calibration right and as that improves things in the US and then expands globally then hopefully they can add some additional features to the app. They’ve already brought it a long ways!

1 Like

Love the idea. And also month to date would be nice to see too.

1 Like

or just the amount that is shown in the current graph, so you can zoom in and out, pan left or right and in the corner it always shows the total amount of rain

1 Like

I don’t know if I am Ok but I did email my daughters via the apps and without being able to modify my settings or else she has access to my Weather Flow

Just go on the main page and in the lower right corner just press to send email or sms of your station

That is definitely OK. What @MikeF and others of us would like is to be able to get notifications on our mobile devices from a station that is not ours or for someone who does not have a station be able to receive push notifications from any public station. What you shared was a web link to your station which is fine to view the station information but if that person wants to be alerted when it starts to rain or there is lightning they are out of luck.

2 Likes

Hello to all

As you can read in the pinned topic regarding the voting system in this category, we made a change.

Your suggestions are great but … pretty hard to choose and in what priority.

Don’t go vote for this topic as it has no sense in what we implemented. There are several proposals and we won’t be any better.

So each of you that proposed something in this topic, please thinker what you really want to propose and make a dedicated topic for your idea. Make it clear and short (eventually with a little scribble to make it visual if needed).

The rules are explained in this topic.

Keep your great ideas coming and for all of us, make good use of your votes !

1 Like

Change wind update from 1 minute interval to 3 seconds

It is already updated every 3 seconds on the card unless the Tempest or SKY are in a power save mode. To the right of the 3-second wind is the 1-minute average which wouldn’t be a 1-minute average if it, too, updated every 3 seconds.

Correct - on the card. But not in the new forecast screen. Current conditions are only updated once a minute.

1 Like

So make the circle just like the one on the card, then. With that at least it would be obvious that data was coming in and hopefully current.

I would love to see what the rainfall was for the previous 7-days and 14-days, not the previous week(s). When I plant new trees, I have to water weekly. I’d like to be able to adjust based on rainfall.