IFTTT Smart Weather Applet

Thanks to the @WFmarketing for the IFTTT Smart Weather applet. :clap: :clap: I got this setup up with ease and it’s really cool seeing the data stream in every minute. Two questions concerning the Rain data or Column I in the Google Spreadsheet. It shows 0in right now but my SKY has measured 0.14in today. Is Column I showing the Rain IN/HR instead of the actual Rain (Today) measured by SKY?

If so, could it be changed to log the Rain (Today) instead of Rain IN/HR?

I believe that column shows the current one minute rain. There may be an additional colum to show accumulated rain for the day.

Hmm, if it is logging the current one minute rain observation then it looks as though that is the only rain data logged into the Google Sheet. I added a row to the top of my Google Sheet to label each data column. The Rain (Today) from the Current Conditions view of the Smart Weather app would be nice to have logged in addition to the one minute observation. That way our log would show the total rain amount for the day.

If it’s not possible to add the Rain (Today) value into the applet as part of the minute by minute log, then it’s no big deal. I can always add it in at the end of the day.

Screenshot_20181025-201411

Well, you’re in a spreadsheet. One of the main functions of a spreadsheet is to total columns.

1 Like

Yeah, I labeled Column I [Rain Rate IN/HR] since in the Current Conditions view of the Smart Weather app, Rain ----- None (0 in/hr) is right above Rain (Today) ---- 0.14 in. I figured the IFTTT applet was pulling the same one minute observations shown in the Current Conditions view of the Smart Weather app. Just wanting to make sure which observation was being logged by the applet. Like I said before, I can easily edit the Sheet to have the Rain (Today) reflected in the Sheet for each day. Much like how Ambient Weather.net has the Daily Rain total logged every five finutes in its spreadsheet.

Thanks for helping narrow this down, Gary.

Are you really at 97% humidity? Good thing you aren’t at 99° temperatures.

And you can also total the strikes.

1 Like

Haha, oh yes. The humidity always goes up that high here in South Alabama. Pretty much all the South suffers with the high humidity. Brutal during the Summer months.

2 Likes

i used to spend summers in Florida. As a young child it was somewhat fun. Now I spend summer in Saigon and that has to stop.

1 Like

Hey neighbor! “East LA” here…

For ya’ll non-Southerner’s… that’s “East Lower Alabama”, aka, the Florida Panhandle.

1 Like

Yo, @btst.online Reading you loud and clear from Covington County.

1 Like

Hi @KJ.Davis Glad you’re enjoying the newly revised IFTTT applet. The 1min rain value is the ‘height’ or rain accumulated in the last 60sec shown in mm or inches. It is not the rain rate, which is a calculated measure of intensity per https://weatherflow.github.io/SmartWeather/api/derived-metric-formulas.html#rain-rate. In the formula shown on that page, the rain value in the IFTTT applet is the “Vr” value. To get a total, simply add the rain accum values for whatever time series you desire.

Thanks for the suggestion to include a running accum total for the day. We’ll look into it. Get’s tricky with timezones, calcs for every user every minute, processing requirements, etc.

@WFmarketing Got it. Thanks for clarifying Column I data. I’ll change the Column I label and add a new Daily Rain Total Column into my Google Sheet.

2 Likes

Is there any solution for overriding 2000 raws limit in google sheets?

1 Like

Is the latest IFTTT version this one: “Applet version ID 86899929” ?

Just because some of the data discussed in this thread, namely the “I column” or “rain”, doesn’t match AT ALL with the data I get from the app (even after some unit and formula convertion).

This or limit it to 1440, just because that’s the number of daily updates.
At least this way we would have a spreadsheet per day, instead of a 33.3 hour interval.

Here is a clue how to automatically archive the rows to solve the 2000 row limit. I havnt implemented it though. I am just researching options for data storage backup:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ifttt/comments/53mi67/more_than_2000_rows_in_google_sheet/
cheers Ian :slight_smile:

Hi IFTTT users, “Date and Time formulas”

Now that I have IFTTT and WFArchive both working I wanted to check for missing or extra records compared to my WFArchive database and the weatherflow history. Particularly when I turn off WiFi and also when I unplug my internet connection with WiFi still on, or crash everything with a power outage etc. (Those results are another story after some more experimenting).

Anyway I had to add some formulas to the Google sheets to make the date and time easier to use. And I figure those who are using the latest IFTTT Applet might find my formulas helpful.

I Inserted 2 columns to the left and pasted this formula into A1:
=DATEVALUE(MID(C1,FIND(",",C1)-2,2)&"-"&LEFT(C1,(FIND(" “,C1)-1))&”-"&MID(C1,FIND(",",C1)+2,4))

And I inserted this formula into B1:
=TIMEVALUE(MID(C1,FIND(":",C1)-2,5)&" "&RIGHT(C1,2))

Perhaps some new excel formulas may do it easier but my software was unable to use Datevalue() or Timevalue() with the format currently used in the IFTTT google sheets.

And if anyone wants to use the units from the other columns to use as numbers to graph or calculate you could use something like this to get the number from cell D1:
=LEFT(D1,(FIND(" ",D1)-1))

Question for @WFmarketing
If you update the IFTTT Applet again is it possible to create a new one and leave the old one? Otherwise I am very hesitant to create any smartness to my google spreadsheets if it will keep changing.

Hi @WFmarketing,

Just letting you know for your information. I was just examining the google sheets for their reliability and accuracy.

My IFTTT google sheet frequently misses saving two of the one minute rows. It usually misses at the 00 min and 01 min of the hour but it can happen at other times. Here is an example:

When I look at the one minute resolution graph from weatherflow it shows those one minute values:

I am just letting you know and for those trying to use the data to be aware that if the max or min readings occurred at those times, then they will not appear in results and the averages will be inaccurate.

It appears about 14 times or roughly 28 rows over a 24hr period.
The easy way to find it is to add the formulas I described above then another column subtracting adjacent row times. I then selected the column and applied conditional formatting for values greater than 0.0007.

I do have WFArchive running on a raspberry pi. My internet had VOIP connected but not making any calls. There were no other computers using my wifi or network.

Is anyone else finding the same problem?

1 Like

@iladyman . Conveniently, once an IFTTT applet is published and at least one user is actively using it…it cannot be changed. If/when we do update a Google Sheets applet, we have to publish an entirely new one. And BTW, thanks for sharing your custom code with the community! Love it. :nerd_face::+1:

1 Like

Hi @WFmarketing,

How do I find the old one?
I thought I would try running both to see if the missing rows are different.
I can only find this version

01%20AM

Thanks from Ian :slight_smile: