Wind Speed Questions

The wind values were not all exactly the same. They were close but not identical according to the graph. Here are some graphs from my non-coated SKY after some rain.

As you can see, the first graph shows a similar result to @clevenger7778 though the difference in the three values is greater. I have seen some really weird things displayed with what seemed like very little in the air gap. The nearly identical speed for all three values seems more like a frozen water issue than wiggling water drops like in my examples above.

1 Like

Looks like everything has gone back to normal today

@clevenger7778 the data is indicative of snow or ice blocking the sonic signal paths, and it looks like data went back to normal just as temperatures rose above freezing on Sunday morning. Did you ever get a visual of the gap during the period of spurious winds?

no I was not able to get a look at it.

My wind speed appears to be stuck. It seems it coincides with the arrival of stupid cold temperatures.

Other local weather stations do report winds greater and more variable than what Sky is reporting.
I cannot get on my roof to get a good look at the wind gap.

Thanks for sharing and submitting a help ticket. Our customer service team will address this issue and take care of you.

I found a nice 1"x10’ steel pole and mounted it on the back of my rv. Inziptied it to ever step making it as stable as possible. But with pretty windy out and i see some play in the pole. Not much but i cant imagine being able to keep any pole steady that high in 15mph winds. Is that going to work for accurate numbers?

Not sure this is working. 18mph winds and my tempest reading is 2mph. I did unplug the tempest and modem today to install need pipe. Is there a calibration period im not allowing to happen?

It should read fairly accurately immediately. There is a fine tune adjustment which takes place over several days to weeks depending on the wind conditions. With that mounting it should be reading roughly the actual wind speed.
I dont know if there might be trees upwind or something?
How are you measuring the true speed?
This chart shows some wind:

If you were able to drive with it mounted like that it should also match your vehicle speed added to the wind speed. I only suggest that as a test to be sure it is faulty or not. I have driven with one mounted like that and it matched really accurately to 80mph.
cheers Ian :slight_smile:

I just mounted this today. im above all orchards around me. All weather apps said it was blowing crazy today. Im puzzled and what this is. It could not be more clear of any tree

Could it be im not nailing down North direction. I have uploaded many apps to make an accurate North. Pretty sure i have nailed it

Oh yeah. One more thing. I was and are not moving

The speed will not be affected by incorrect orientation to North. It would just show the wrong direction. If it is not aligned North then you have the option of changing the direction in settings if it is too difficult to re-align the pole.
As for the difference in speed I find if I mount it too low compared to the surrounding vegetation or buildings I rely more on the highest value than the average because the average is pulled down due to the wind gradient and turbulence.
See my post here about differences in readings at different heights due to wind gradient and buildings:

cheers Ian :slight_smile:

no obstructions in my instal yet im getting huge winds out yet getting 2mph reading

getting very frustrated with new $327 purchase. This is 10’ above any obstruction and wind us hollowing yet i get 2mph reading…UGH

Pity enough a picture doesn’t ‘show’ how hard it blows but if you are confident it is really out of range, open a support ticket. They will have a look and see like me there is wind on the graph but hopefully they can see more in the detailed data.
I guess you already had a look there is no obstruction between the plates.

Oh man. I wish I had thought to tell him that.

1 Like