Wind Speed Questions

Not yet, but it is in the queue.

has it been fixed yet ???

Nope, still not fixed.

Your hub update hasnt fixed this problem

It is not a firmware issue. It is the backend server code.

2 Likes

Correct. The UTC issue is on the server and will be resolved in the API, not in the HUB firmware. It’s on our list, in order of priority by customer impact along side a myriad of other technical tasks. Not forgotten.

4 Likes

Good news, this issue (missing data at UTC00) has been fixed this week!

8 Likes

Nice! This one has generated a lot of questions . . . glad to see it is resolved!

1 Like

Really. Has it been fixed. Will have to check

1 Like

My question relates to wind speed measurement so I thought to use this topic.
To @WFmarketing (please correct my assumptions):
Wind is sampled in 3-sec interval meaning a gust between second nr 1-2 is ignored. I suppose this method is according to standard (3-sec interval).
One of our regions experiences very strong but very short (like “explosion”) wind gusts that are officially measured up to 90-100 mph. Using cups (Davis) is OK but will not give the peak gust. Also 3-sec Sky sampling can easily miss the peak.
Is there any way WF provides a “development” version of the firmware that would allow faster sampling? I know it strongly affects the power consumption but these windy occasions are not so frequent (couple of times per year and they last 1-2 days).
Thanks!

@petercek . The sonic sensors on SKY take an instantaneous wind velocity and directional reading every 3seconds. We currently do not have a setting to adjust down to 1sec sampling. Would be interesting to explore now that we have infinite power (solar panel). Typically with 20 samples per minute you will catch the gusts. Also, it would be incumbent to investigate your regional definition of “officially measured” gust as this definition can vary widely from highest single sample to highest 1min avg, etc. You get the picture. - WF

5 Likes

Please explain why ‘Lull’ measurement is nearly always 0.
Understand the 3 second sampling rate, but on a day of consistent high winds the lull doesn’t budge.

Hi @herne thanks for your inquiry. Where do you have your SKY sited? If you can share a few pictures that would be very helpful.

Most likely, this is due to turbulence. The lull will be the lowest 3 second reading within the one minute observation. If your SKY is in a turbulent environment, the winds could very well be going to 0 around the device. The ultrasonic sensor excels at measuring very light winds as it is not dependent on the momentum of moving air whereas a mechanical sensor has a higher ‘cut-in’ speed in order to move the bearings.

Also, zoom in further to see the 1 minute data. You are looking at 5 minute observation buckets which have some smoothing. Your lulls are not consistently 0.
https://smartweather.weatherflow.com/station/4549/graph/12456/wind/1

3 Likes

Wind lull, as used by weatherflow is the mininum windspeed over certain period of time. When zooming out, weatherflow decided to change the period. That is totally weird/wrong. If weatherflow would make a graph of wind lull over the last 10 years it would be almost guaranteed to be a flat zero everywhere.
It shouldn’t do that. It should define some fixed period (say one minute), and define wind lull as the minimum over that period. When zooming out it should average the values, instead of taking the minimum again.

in general Weatherflow doesn’t like taking averages (see Data archive buckets explained) but often takes the closest observation. For things that don’t change very quickly that doesn’t matter too much.

With a new graphing system we can expect to see more then just 32 data points in a graph. (give me 500 or so :wink: ) Lets hope that those data points are the ones with the highest sampling rate.

2 Likes

Just looked at my data, after a bit of a winter storm the wind speed is showing a constant 34MPH for the last few hours. Any way to fix this or just have to wait for it to warm up?

Is there snow, ice, or rain on the wind gap plate? I did some field testing of some hydrophobic coatings because the earlier SKY units had issues with water pudding on the plate or hanging to the sonic sensors. I put a ceramic nano-coating on one of my units ant that helped but the new coating WeatherFlow is now using is the best. If you have ice or snow in the gap you will have to wait for it to melt.

3 Likes

i don’t think that snow or ice would cause a constant 34Mph. The weatherflow needs to do a differential measurement to compensate for various effects.

Good point. And the uses path or both directions is the same. So the flat ice layer would almost cancel out. But what about bulb shaped ice :thinking:? Or frozen snow flakes?

weird indeed as gust, average and lul are frozen together … Maybe wait today and see if some daylight helps … I hope you get some sun and a few degrees extra …
Is the sky hard to reach ?? If you already could have a look at the passage under the dome … see if something is stuck in there like snow or frozen water or ???

And don’t go up the roof if it is dangerous …

I was only referring to the fact that wind speed is reported at a constant 34Mph, which is unlikely with snow or ice. I’m not sure if it still is accurate, as it needs multiple paths in various directions to calculate the wind direction. Perhaps it is possible to compensate for those variations, but I don’t know if, or if so, if they actually do that. I starting point, without doing extra measurements would be that it is inaccurate. but definitely not constant.

edit: according to the indigogo webpage, the tempest is supposed to have a 10% accuracy with respect to accumulated rain. That’s pretty good and an amazing lot better then the 25% of the current version.

1 Like