Wind direction icon backward

This just isn’t true. Many meteorological organisations show wind direction arrows identically to WeatherFlow. For example, the UK MetOffice:

or the Australian Bureau of Meteorology:

Both point their arrows in the direction the wind is travelling.

I assume you’ve made a typo here, because a north wind blowing from the north is exactly the same as a wind blowing to the south

This won’t make a difference. WF could add colour to their wind arrows to represent magnitude, thus making them a vector (although unit vectors with a magnitude of one are fairly common), but they will still point in the same direction. The same confusion will still apply for some people.

The only way to solve this is to add tooltips to the arrows that give you the direction. Wind directions are unequivocal (they are the direction the wind is coming from), so with that piece of information you can then work out whether the arrow is pointing into the wind, or with the wind.

Meteorologists (like myself) have ALWAYS used FROMies" instead of “TOies!” e,g, The wind is FROM the NW at 15 gusting to 25 knots. Makes no sense to say " the wind is blowing to the SE at 15 to 25 knots."

Also. . .in the “aviation-world”…the wind is FROM 310 degrees (NW) at 15 gusting to 25 knots.

In the WF wind icons. . .they are show the direction FROM which the wind is blowing. In other words. . .the wind direction arrows show wind is blowing FROM the larger “V”-shaped open end toward the the little pointy end. If this was a wind vane on top of a house or barn. . .it would be pointing in the direction FROM which the wind is blowning.

1 Like

The world has gone digital. You’re living/clinging on to an analog past.
The answer my friend is blowin’ in the wind
The answer is blowin’ in the wind

1 Like

digital or analog doesn’t matter. Wind direction needs a good indicator, that is intuitive to understand. I think weatherflow did a good job.
If people really want the indicator pointing the other way, they could rotate the unit 180 degrees in the app, (but that is only a hack and doesn’t work if at any point you want to trust cardinal orientations)

1 Like

The grid view puts the indicator at the “from” direction but pointing in the “to” direction. The indicator in the graph view is pointing in the “to” direction. The screenshots in my post above are from the same minute reporting interval with the rapid wind at approximately the same direction.