Wind direction icon backward

The wind icons appear to backwards. The Tempest is oriented correctly, but the icons seem to be 180 degrees off in the screens. See screenshot attached:

Hello,

This is correct, wind is always described as the direction it originates.

I once looked this up and it is due to ancient people associating weather events like ‘it’ll be warm when the wind blows from over the mountain’. The whole ‘from’ thing stuck…

Cheers
Simon

??? The icon is pointing EAST, not WEST. The wind is from the west, the icon is pointing EAST.
N
W E
S

as Simon2 mentioned this is correct. The arrow follows the flow of the wind, coming from the west (as indicated) and going to the east. In a classic wind vane, the arrow points to where the wind in coming from. That might add to the confusion.

To be sure, the arrow is north and the panels face south ? If so then for some reason it switched to the south part of the world. GPS location correct ?
If all is, open a supper ticket so support can have a look at the raw data and eventually push it.

In the mean time in the settings of the tempest you can adjust manually

settings/stations/manage device/device/advanced/ wind direction offset, just set 180 and it’ll point correct. Once it is again good, basically 180 of then, just et 0 again and you’re good to go.

Hope this helps you the time someone handles your ticket.

2 Likes

Sorry, but this is NOT correct, as your own words indicate. Wind is always described/shown/represented from the direction it ORIGINATES not where is going. I have NEVER— until this instance—seen a wind direction indicator arrow pointing to where it is going. EVER. I showed this to our guys at the National Weather Service and they think it is backwards, too. If the wind is from the west, I expect whatever icon representing that to be pointing west, not east. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to point an arrow east if the wind is from the west.

1 Like

Thank you Eric. I’ll do this. Much appreciated. (Yes, the station is oriented correctly.)

i think @eric didn’t understand your problem. You think you found an inconsistency in the wind direction (W) and the direction the arrow is (from west to east).
You say you have never seen this… take a look at Windfinder - Wind map, wind forecast & weather reports zoom in to find a station and check that the arrow follows the flow from the wind.

It’s following the animation. I’ll concede in that context/scenario it makes sense. As a standalone indicator without the animated context surrounding it, I still maintain the classic wind vane makes more sense.

1 Like

I voiced the same concern when WF started this project. From them, it is a ‘meteorological standard’ to do it as they have it…

As a sailor and weather-enthusiast, I prefer the Coming-From indicator over the Going-To indication…

1 Like

The animation is irrelevant. the station pop-up is static and can be used without the animation. Without the animation, on maps it is pretty common to draw the arrows that go with the flow of the wind.
There are plenty of examples even without animation.
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/tx/del-valle/KTXDELVA9

https://www.foreca.com/104511274/Fairfax-Hamilton-OH

I think the whole confusion comes when it isn’t clear what the arrow is indicating. I agree with @westtexasken about the direction of the arrow in isolation. However, if WF is using it as the direction component of a vector, then it is correct. It is this difference in perspective which makes it confusing.

2 Likes

I just happen to look at the weather forecast in my own country, it does exactly what weatherflow currently does (even the arrow looks the same in blue :slight_smile: Buienradar.nl - Weersverwachting voor De Bilt

Screenshot_20210617-155444~2

It’s pretty common use from all major weather station manufactures and National Weather Services to use the arrow pointing in the direction of which the wind is going. Not solely a WeatherFlow decision.

Agree…arrow should be pointed to where the wind is coming from. I’ve been in the business for 40 years and it’s absurd for WeatherFlow to use the opposite of the standard.

tweatherman

Yes it is always confusing using an arrow and the debate will go on forever.
I experimented with different shapes while designing my weather graphs and have settled on using wind socks as my icons.
Using a wind sock is visually self explanatory in any language for people who are interested in the wind.
Here is an example of my self explanatory wind graphs:

cheers Ian :slight_smile:

1 Like

@westtexasken Sorry, if your life depends on knowing the wind direction, you better adopt the common indications for the direction. Not much space for argueing…IMHO

Two examples…

Ofsetting wind direction? Bad idea…!!!
If he does that, he has the arrow the way he wants. The rest of the world accessing his data has a 100% error for the wind direction…

That is the problem. There are two common indications! The examples you provided are pointing the opposite direction to the common weather vane directions.

1 Like

Common indications?
Ok Honey next street turn to the left.
No Honey, the other left!!!

1 Like