Weather34 WF API version Discontinued

I sincerely ask myself the question of removing the functionality of my plugin. I am divided between what I think is “right” and not block users who would still like to do it.

On the other hand for my personal stations, the choice is made…

Hello Pierre

For our PWS, guess each of us is grown up enough to decide. Regarding your plugin, I’d play the wait and see game a bit. I guess the rate of account deactivation might change their ideas in a few days. I wouldn’t rush for now and maybe just inform your users that the data coming from them is irregular and that they intend to change the api … and that you’ll keep them updated once it is clear where it is going … my 2 Euro cents :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It’s more fun to just feed them bad data, such as my 704 millibar malfunctioning barometer:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KNYBEREA3

Ironically, a barometer reading low even by Mars atmospheric standards is good enough to pass WU’s QC algorithm and get a gold star… :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

You’re probably right @eric , it’s anger that makes me say that for the moment. I will ask myself the pros and cons in a few days, at rest;)

Ahaha! That one’s a good one! :grin: :rofl:

Thanks Brian! Appreciate all of the work!

@pierre if your plugins are using their api for pulling end user pws data then the guy basically told you the end is nigh …

pierre i totally sympathize i really do because from your perspective and many other developers app developers and so on who spend hours,days,weeks developing something to use the API officially as opposed to scraping unofficially will now find it all rather worthless .

where weatherflow is concerned you wont have a problem as the weather api is seperate where you might have issues is with other hardware however there are solutions for meteobridge,weather-display,cumulus and so on …

start now if you havent already or have something along those lines…

1 Like

What PHP modules are needed for this to work?

I originally extranted the .ZIP into my /var/www/pws folder - and only got the php source. Oops… didn’t have php installed.

So - a quick ‘apt-get install libapache2-mod-php’ - all I’m getting is a completely blank screen when accessing the site.

Likely, I’m missing some libraries - but I cannot find any documentation that says which php libraries are needed…

Thanks!

Edit: I’ve turned on PHP errors - and nothing is being logged. Not sure what’s going on…

1 Like

I have noticed that the daily rainfall as displayed on the main Weather34 template does not match what is displayed on the WF page and on the monthly rainfall page. It is always less than the actual. I realize that the monthly page is getting the data from WU while the daily is grabbing it via Meteobridge. I have included screenshots that show this. Looks like Meteobridge is the source of the data issue. Anyone have any insight on this? Is there a setting in Meteobridge that I need to fix? Thanks!

Weather34:

WF:

Meteobridge:

weatherflowapp shows last 24hrs template shows actual day from midnight .
template only shows what it is sent ia whatever source of data you choose be it meteobridge ot weatherflow api it doesn’t manipulate or filter it simply displays what is recieved or recorded .

also note wunderground retrieval of data will be removed from template in june sometime due to changes or forthcoming changes at wunderground which beyond my control.

an alternative forecast and current conditions icon will be available and all users will have to use mysql for historical chart data .

2 Likes

Thanks Brian. In this case the .08 coincided with the calendar day rainfall…just did not screen shot it yesterday to show that. I believe I have something off in meteobridge. I know there is a rain multiplier setting but I believe that is to help offset biases. In this case it appears Meteobridge is not uploading the rainfall as expected.

Any pointers for us who have no experience in setting up mysql? Would be happy to try to learn. Will start Googling it. Thanks for all you do…we appreciate it!

Edit:
just found this:
https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation/setupmeteobridge.html

Will give it a go.

i will be on hand in june so dont worry as your using meteobridge also, then its relatively straightforward and it will give more control and flexibility in what type of graphs and data ranges you want to have access to.

i spent 15 years using mysql,for a living for the tesco network distribution before i was made redundant and now reitred , millions of lines per day and never two days alike so weather data is basically a walk in-the
park…

4 Likes

Good morning

spent a few hours each morning this week whilst our roof is being replaced . Lots of nearby lightning this week and finally was able to finish of the weather station short term forecast script based an original developed by a cumulus forum user call BT Justice.

Lightning now keeps a rolling count of daily,monthly,yearly strikes , current conditions icon has an override if lightning detected , advisory box displays a lightning alert message for a period 10 minutes after each strike recorded .

The forecaster box is something I have tweaked over the last 13 months and now it has the ability to reap the benefit of a AIR lightning feature and includes lightning probability in the forecaster . * note this only works with meteobridge and weatherflow combination.
It simply relies on recorded data from or stored in mysql !

lightning also has a new running straight forward information total chart output shown below nothing complex and it updates realtime.

forecaster is 75%-90% accurate , a bold phrase that may be but 13 months of tweaking the original has really paid off .

Has you may be aware wundergound services via their API will not be free anymore to any newer users of there services , i have tried alternatives based on accuracy of forecasts not complexity of their API services but I have found nothing that ever close to
wunderground API forecasts when it works .

Dark SKY dont have much accuracy outside of North America and the UK and thats found in there documentation and was confirmed to me over a year ago outside of those areas it does not have the same accuracy however that could have changed but recently did not see any changes.Also there is a polite warning on there website/app developers may not use the free Developer API service in there free or paid released products , clearly highlights this in black and white.

APIXU a newer API available free offered working solutions for forecast but again once you are looking for data outside of the city or populated areas it pretty inaacurate in tests it returned forecast for an area 120km away from me when using there geolocation api .

newer features will be available in June to anyone using meteobridge and weatherflow hardware. fully running at https://weather34.com

stormy

strike3

4 Likes

good morning

after the initial announcement from wunderground services related to their api the template is now reverted back to an original script i used for a short while back 2016. please do not email me if the forecast are not accurate the template hs no bearing or manipulation it simply displays what is retrieved based on your lat lon settings.

**please note i am not answering emails until June 26th due to the unfortunate circumstances occurred here after our neighbours roof caught fire and spread to ours causing a lot of damaged and inconvenience beyond belief .

has always available via https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation/ choose the appropriate version

WFDS1_fxkkk11

I’d love to get a copy that supports both the air and the sky. Right now, the dowloaded one only supports air.

Hello @weatherflow1, Just to let you know . . . @Weather34 may not answer messages until next month (as he mentioned earlier in this thread).

1 Like

it supports both sky and air and also preliminary unused code for future breathe . it has been available for many months via https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation

1 Like

least you got a like dan its good to talk though … unfortunately due to the fire 3 weeks ago myself and my wife had to abandon any plans to go away and ramadan does end next week but unlikely neither of us will be able to get away till all the roof damage has been repaired and then start redecorating all the damage rooms so probably for us August break and I wont return till september probably has been crappiest period I can remember for a few years now… bureaucracy beyond on belief …brian

I too have the same questions… I’m trying to get Weather34 up and running on an RPi 3+, and have verified that PHP is basically working with the PHPInfo script.

However, I too get the same white page of death with no clue as to what’s wrong or missing.

Help! (Please!)

I hope (and waiting) for a reply too… I found no way to make it working on a Rpi 3 until now.