Unusual message in Safari Browser

Unusual message about energy usage in Safari Web browser when viewing my station.

2 Likes

Unusual energy usage message in Safari browser when viewing my station (https://smartweather.weatherflow.com/station/1648/grid). Started seeing it in the last couple of days. Only appears on the SmartWeather Web page (never seen on the other 25 Web pages that I usually have open simultaneously). Have not yet been able to force it to happen . . . random so far. Not too critical, but just reporting it because it is unusual and seems to be related to the SmartWeather Web page. Screen shot attached.

07%20PM

2 Likes

More on this . . . it is a known situation in the latest version of Safari (apparently put in to help extend battery life on the MacBook series of machines), but I haven’t yet figured out why only the SmartWeather page triggers it.

2 Likes

Because the SmartWeather web page opens a web socket and thus receives a lot of traffic and constantly updates the page.

1 Like

Makes perfect sense that way. I’ll figure out how to disable the notification and list the steps here. Thanks @GaryFunk

2 Likes

You are welcome, Dan. I’ve learned a lot about the inner workings of the SmartWeather API while writing my own code. I have also learned a lot about weather.

1 Like

Looking at the Web page resources it appears that the page is getting new data every three seconds. Seems like that would make it the most active page that I have open so it makes sense that it would be flagged as using the most “energy”. Haven’t found any way to stop the energy usage message yet. Fun stuff . . .

2 Likes

Rapid Wind data is every three seconds. Rain debug data is every second. Hub Status data is every 10 seconds. Observation data is every 60 seconds.

As you can see, there is a lot of data received during a one minute period…

2 Likes

Hi Gary, Here is a screen shot of the data I am receiving (one minute or so shown on the screen shot). I’ll have to check tomorrow to see if I have the latest firmware revisions in all the devices as it appears that I have a slightly different data stream than the one you mentioned.

31%20PM

2 Likes

That looks correct for web socket data.

Hub Status and debug data would only show up in UDP data so you won’t be seeing that in the browser. My apology for telling you there was more.

Your Sky firmware is 35 and your Air firmware is 20.

1 Like

Ahh. Got it. No apologies needed. Always more for me to learn in a project like this. Maybe if I had looked a little closer I would have seen that the firmware revision numbers were right in front of my face there.

2 Likes

on a Mac you can even trace that very closely using the activity monitor (look inside the utilities map in the applications directory , it is there), a little application to little known but nice to see what is going on.

You can trace CPU/Memory/Energy/Disk/Network

little screen from it with the WF stream

Thanks Eric. I use Activity Monitor a lot, but never looked at the Energy tab before. Always more new info to be discovered . . .

2 Likes