Tempest app : first experiences

Altimeter reading is sea-level pressure when in the region of an airport, ie. QNH. I certainly hope you aren’t relying on it for flying, however.

Altimeter is similar to SLP but it takes the Temp out of the calculation.

1 Like

That is how the Sea Level Pressure is calculated. You are asking for an item that is already given.

Sea-Level is using a constant temperature in its calculation. Altimeter doesn’t. I personally like to see all three: Station pressure, SLP, and Altimeter. The link I provided does a good job of explaining why Altimeter is better than SLP.

WeatherFlow did not use temperature in the calculation because temperature is not available in the Sky.

Oh ok. That I didn’t know. Thanks!

I think I might have ran into the formula they use but I’ll see if I can find it.

You can view all the formulas in the API documentation.

4 posts were split to a new topic: Tempest forecast isn’t accurate for everyone

That’s one of the many design problems I have. They shouldn’t mix predictions with measurements like that. In the old version there was a clear and clean separation between the two. With the predictions shown at the bottom.

1 Like

I note that in the new app, whether you are on the weather forecast or spin to data page there is no reference to the last update of data from the hub.

In the mobile app , bottom right it says online, on the web interface nothing.

In the old app when you swapped to further information it advised the last update from the hub. I have found this invaluable to ensure that what I am reading is up to date. I appreciate the forecast moves with the hour and therefore can see the data is recent but when you have / or had communication issues the time line update is super effective.

Like wise it would be easier to to allow a third screen as was old system with all that lovely data :slight_smile:

1 Like

As many people see all kind of problems with the new app, I just wanted to suggest my photoshopped version. I simply added an optional panel with the hourly forecast, which more or less is the most visible thing that was added to the new app. The multi-day forecast at the bottom could just be using the newer 10 day forecast data and doesn’t need replacing. If you scoll to the right of that there is the view more button which could go to the detailed 10 day forecast (which includes the hourly forecast 10 days ahead). With my photoshopped version I don’t see any need for the, in my opinion, confusing layout of the new app. If really needed you could add an optional pane for hourly wind conditions as well.

If you still want to keep the new layout, I think adding the option display the hourly data would still be very nice.

Replacing the multi-day forecast data with the newer forecast data would be a good idea anyway, so there is no difference. (just the data, not the layout)

4 Likes

On the card display I only see it if the data is stale. If no age is given it is current. I haven’t, however seen anything similar on the forecast page.

@gizmoev.

This is what I was referring to

“On the card display i only see it if the data is stale”. That is an interesting observation !. Guess I will have to wait to see it.

" I haven’t, however seen anything similar on the forecast page." Scroll down to the very bottom of forecast page to see the “online”

1 Like

In the new app you can click on Settings -> Stations -> [station name] -> Status and then checkout the Last Observation time under each device. I appreciate this certainly isn’t as simple as it was in the old version.

If we are talking about app updates, There’s one thing I’d really like to see. Right now, if I go to a card for say temperature, and look at the graph, any zooming in or out affect all cards. I typically like to see the pressure graph zoomed out, to see how it’s trending wrt weekky high’s/lows. But other cards I like to see zoomed in more. Could the app remember separate zoom levels for each card?

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Tempest forecast for Smart Weather Station AIR/SKY in Europe

A post was merged into an existing topic: WeatherFlow PiConsole

I am a brand new owner of Tempest. Also my 1st weather station. Has this functionality been “turned on” yet?

Thanks and very excited to get my Tempest installed and running!

1 Like

Welcome to the Weatherflow community victoringrassia,

Not yet, it should be in the next firmware. It is in test in a very small group before going to the beta testers and then to you all. No ETA I know but can’t be too long anymore. Guess some fine tuning with the results coming in from different sources.

Thank you Eric. As a brand new member of this community I appreciate the information. Here’s a rookie question follow up… are firmware updates handled automatically via the Internet/ hub /etc.? Or is that something we do manually?

2 Likes