Rain calibration since firmware update v94

More than confused, this looks like an electrical issue with your rain sensor. Please open a ticket with support or send an email to support@weatherflow.com and we’ll likely need to send you a replacement.

Ahhh. Ok. Will do. Thx.

I would feel much more comfortable with any calibration process if there was a place I could upload my actual rain from a manual gauge. Short of that, it appears to me that it is callibrating against a guess.

1 Like

You’re correct that the calibration will only be as good as the reference source, but it’s much better than a guess. The evolving rain component of the CL process will use a variety of sources, including detailed regional rainfall analyses as well as traditional tipping bucket gauge data. If you have a co-located tipping bucket or other source that your trust, we can use that (assuming the data is available online). An option to upload your own manual gauge readings is an interesting idea…

5 Likes

I did buy a Stratus 4” gauge. I’d be happy to record/upload the amount & time and time each time I dump.

I’m ready to buy a tipping bucket gauge if I could find one that easily integrated online. I haven’t really had time to research, was hoping this would meet all my weather needs.

1 Like

Great! Best thing would be to join the CoCoRaHS network and upload your data to them: https://cocorahs.org/ (they are one of the sources we use now)

It will! No need to go out and buy another rain gauge - your SKY will get more accurate soon!

2 Likes

Disagree. Buy the CoCoRaHS gauge too. You can’t do better than a physical check re: reality on all this fancy gear. If WF is using that network as a source, you’d be adding your own stats to the reference network WF tunes against, so you’d be helping yourself essentially.

CoCoRaHS has your lat/lon/elevation data, so presumably this would match reality and your WF data. I don’t know how WF will handle manual readings not being precisely at 7am as they ask for, but over time it should average out as a match.

Sorry for the confusion: @brklaas1 said he already bought a CoCoRaHS gauge, which I agree is a good idea. As is tying it into their network. I was just saying there’s no need to buy something more fancy, in reference to his comment that he was “ready to buy a tipping bucket gauge if I could find one that easily integrated online.”

Truth!

4 Likes

Had some rain last night.
Most surrounding stations measured 0.5mm

Sky didn’t detect any rain.
So it was probably to light to register?!

1 Like

Exactly the same here.

1 Like

There’s a classic saying here in the winter when we get “The wrong type of snow…”, well we had a day last week with the wrong type of rain. The whole day was drizzle, and of course the ol’ tipping bucket system managed to collect and measure the WF didn’t because it was way too light. Such leading edge tech can be fickle, too much and it measures every minor wind tickle, not enough and it misses life… I’m hanging in there right now on this, it must be one heck of a challenge causing you not to get full on production going. Keep going guys, it might be a compromise solution in the end…
Best
Db

4 Likes

agree - here stuck in the marine layer due to a pressure inversion near Seattle it’s basically like living in a cloud the last few days. The VP2 is accumulating one or two 0.01" tips per day, as is the CoCoRAHS manual gauge. The WF is ignoring it completely. It’ll be interesting to see what happens if we get the occasional December freezing fog thing happening (yecccch - like driving on a skating rink).

3 Likes

I hope we are getting closer to Cl process for rain events if it works as good as the air pressure or UV does we all should have one of the highest quality stations available to the general public at the bare minimum price we all paid for it. Any good news yet @dsj on the time line ?

Thanks and have a great day

Continued good results from our internal testing. Not quite ready to roll out an update yet, but inching ever closer.

3 Likes

Today a little drizzle, but Sky not sensing anything?

Just wondering, how much should it rain to get a reliable measurement?

2 Likes

Same here finally we got some rain in october my old station with a tipping raingauge recorded 0.6 mm last night but the Weatherfow shows nothing.

It’s not quantity of rain but quality of rain. It has to be heavy enough to cause a vibration.

So no acid or Purple rain I suppose :zipper_mouth_face:

Same here this morning…

1 Like

and everybody who now has Prince music stuck in your head, raise your hand…

3 Likes