Photos of Tempest Installations :tempest:

Looks good. I think you will find the “real” rain gauge will be close to the Ambient.

George

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: Tempest and very cold temperatures

New location. There’s a bit of rain forecast late next week, but no strong winds to test it.

It will be more sheltered by the house for northerly winds than the previous location on the roof but I’m more interested in better rain data.

13 Likes

Wow! Amazing deck! :+1:

2 Likes

I would even add ‘view’

4 Likes

Where is your station located? Very nice open space 360° all around. . .something my Tempests would be jealous of. . .forever!

2 Likes

Thanks Guys. Yes it’s a nice spot to live. I did a bit of normal walking (and stomping) on the decking. No false rain reported. So looking good.

Blackmans Bay Tasmania.

Not quite. The house is about 5m away to the north. The prevailing weather is W/SW though.

The sun makes it to that corner of the deck even in winter so there should be no issues power wise.

Also the signal strength to the base station is now amazing at -40dBm.

9 Likes

New photos of Tempest in my backyard with Cocorahs rain gauge.

9 Likes

Nice…

Only suggestion would be to put stratus on a separate post several feet away. The pole and tempest could have some “minor” impact on the stratus.

Depends on how exact you want to be :slight_smile:

1 Like

Works perfectly fine when comparing to a few nearby Cocorahs gauges.

1 Like

I’m sure it is close enough but don’t compare to other cocorahs gauges… especially in Florida where you can have differences in very short distances.

Are you a Cocorahs contributor?

1 Like

Yep I report to Cocorahs every morning. Rainfall can surely vary in SFL block to block. I am pretty happy all around with my setup results.

1 Like

New Tempest owner here! Longtime Davis Vantage Vue owner but loved everything about Weather Flow and Tempest. Very impressed thus far and Tempest has replace the VV on the roof. We will be building on about 2 acres this year so my location will not only change, but I’ll have a great location to site the Tempest. Also, I’ll say I’ve compared Tempest to my CoCoRaHS gauge and found Tempest to be exceptionally accurate. Looking forward to many great years with Tempest. PXL_20220122_194436101|375x500

1 Like

Welcome to the “family”. :slight_smile:

Glad to hear the precip is working well for you… but that is an exception.

Let us know how it does during variable conditions… i.e. summer thunderstorms, drizzle, etc…

BTW… You can put your station ID on your profile so folks can see your data when you post. Click on my name and you will see what I am talking about.

Thanks,

George

2 Likes

Thanks for responding. I’ll put my Tempest in my profile. For now, it’s Tempest

I’ll be back in touch with more info as I have it.

1 Like

Wouldn’t some @$$hat drive by and start picking these off of peeps front lawns? Edit I can’t tell front from back, looks the same to me. Or do you just have guns primed ready for any eventualities?

1 Like

As a side benefit, you don’t need bird spikes to keep pesky avian visitors away… :laughing:

1 Like

I see are using raincheck (or whatever they call it now)… That is why your cocorahs and tempest agree. WF uses your cocorahs report and “auto corrects” the rain totals with the cocorahs report (since it is in the same location)

1 Like

That isn’t quite how it works. Take a look at Introducing RainCheck for how Near Cast (FKA RainCheck) is figured. While it is possible that his CoCoRaHS reports are used, unless he reports them as discussed in https://community.tempest.earth/t/sky-tempest-vs-co-located-rain-gauge-reporting/5623?u=gizmoev, but then that would be delayed by some time.

2 Likes

It is darn close.

I notice my RainCheck will change to within .01" of my COCORAHS reports… “shortly” after I enter it.

This is of course when the rainfall occurs at the “correct” time. i.e. if it all falls the day before… the day before value is adjust close to the cocorahs report. If it all falls after midnight, the current day value will change after my morning cocorahs entry.

There are obviously other factors however it appears that a COCORAHS station in the exact location as the Tempest is HEAVILY weighted in their calculations.

I’ve observed this consistently since they made their changes.

IMO… Raincheck is a good thing however you cannot assume your tempest instrument is accurate, if you have raincheck on, when you are also a Cocorahs observer (at the same location). The only sure way is to turn RC off and observe the differences between your Stratus gauge and the Tempest estimates.

1 Like