Photos of Tempest Installations :tempest:

while swinging, does it hit something like the chimney ?? or a cable ticking the mount ???

No & no. The tv coax is on the other side of the chimney (granted it could do with securing but has no interference with the Tempest) and the aerial is on its own clamp/strap.
Ed Oh! no only the top is moving about 2-5cm from what I can see.

swinging normally doesnā€™t trigger false rain, it must be something ticking on the pole or maybe the clamps that ā€˜crackā€™ under load ā€¦ maybe if you have some rubber sheet, try to wrap some between the clamps and the pole ???

Yes, Iā€™m going to try some rubber from a cut-up drain coupling at the point where the clamps meet the mast with piccy goodness when the wind subsides.
I can fit my fist in between the chimney lip and the pole so it definitely isnā€™t that.
I see it oscillating at a very quick frequency side to sideOscillate That is when the wind died down a bit. It doesnā€™t add much to the total amount but more to the duration so it must be picking up sound from the movement? Hopefully some rubber dampening does the trick.

To take some of the sway out of my pole, I put the next size smaller pvc pole down the center of my outer pole.
So in affect, itā€™s a double thick pole. A small stainless steel nut and bolt at the top and bottom (to lock them together) and Iā€™ve never had sway an issue.

6 Likes

Yes, the issue is the mast has to be so thin to accommodate the fitting. WF needs to allow for a more robust width of mast. You canā€™t expect a toothpick of a pole not to have stability problems. 2" should be the minimum, not 1" and a bit

use Schedule 40 and try to make it swing :wink:

I have no problems with my 8 foot long vinyl covered wooden dowels. I also donā€™t have any issues with my telescoping fiberglass flag poles. The mount options are just fine.

1 Like

Okay, so the afternoon turned out nice and calm so without further ado, I was up the ladder to apply the theory of cushioning any vibration as it oscillates in the gusts above 10mph >
I hope the rubber doesnā€™t perish too quickly (it was a cut-up pipe converter). You will notice the clamp bolts had to have a spacer (forgot what theyā€™re called)< I used a cut-up bracket for an aerial for the bolts not to run out of thread because I initially used a wider pole.
Hereā€™s hopingā€¦ ::
(My messing about and moving it didnā€™t trigger any rain.)
Without clicking the album linked below this is how my mast is now!

Album of pics with the rubber dampening

1 Like

is the pole still toughing the ground ?? that could be slightly scraping under swaging. Maybe pull it up like a cm so it doesnā€™t tough anymore ifā€¦

1 Like

Mine is on a 21ā€™ piece of SCH80 1 1/4" galvanized pipe. I threaded it and atttached a bell reducer coupling to 1" and put a 6" 1" galvanized nipple in that for TEMPEST to attach to. VERY sturdy. Even so with about 17ā€™ of this pipe out the top of a Rohn 25G tower (cone top section) it will sway in high winds. No false rain from that.

If I take a crescent wrench and tap the bottom of the tower (some 40ā€™ below TEMPEST) even SLIGHTLY I will see rain either heavy or very heavy. Sound definitely triggers it. A short mast thatā€™s too still can cause very short movements/vibration thatā€™s gonna cause false rain especially in strong gusts in storms. And if itā€™s raining heavy already who knows what the outcome is. This is why you must have more than one gauge. Three (or more) even better. :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, I thought that itā€™s resting on the tiles LED (as in metal, not the illuminating variety) flashing because itā€™s so heavy and awkward when I put it into the clamp.

Iā€™ll nudge it up a wee bit tomorrow if the weatherā€™s still good.
(sorry deleted post by mistake)
Edit; Iā€™ve had 2nd thoughts of it resting on the flashing as Led should actually have the desired effect of cushioning any sound.

I used lengths of 33.7mm galvanised pole and an array of clamps to secure it to the wall. Itā€™s solid tubing with a wall thickness of 3.25mm.

https://www.themetalstore.co.uk/products/galvanised-tube-size-b-33-7-mm

2 Likes

@neil.mclean how is it going with relation to movement in windy conditions? Iā€™m guessing itā€™s about 36ft up from the ground! (as mine is)

Itā€™s 9m/30ā€™ above grade. To date Iā€™ve not had any issues with spurious readings. I should add the maximum wind recorded since my installation is 55km/hr, so not too windy.

I have just this very minute bought a rain gauge as Iā€™d like to have my Tempest calibrated.

1 Like

Installed next to my Nylex rain gauge. It will be interesting to see how closely they correlate in the monsoon season. It is mounted on 40mm PVC with 90mm PVC half way up to ensure stability. Itā€™s also core filled with concrete. I think it will be stable enough. In Humpty Doo, Northern Territory, Australia.

8 Likes

that looks like an amazing solid mount. Well done!

Not a great shot from the rooferā€™s drone. (Mounted via Davis Instruments mounting tripod painted black, station should be about 7ā€™ above peak of roof.)

7 Likes

Mounted right on a metal post in a parking lot. Wondering that is it a good place for observing?

2 Likes

My thought is more about how long till it gets stolenā€¦. the human element is so sad.

1 Like