Photos of Tempest Installations :tempest:

Just a mounting idea.

I used a old antenna mount from the boat. It’s screwed to a corner post in my garden. Works great and folds down for service if needed. It’s about 8’ up when extended.

9 Likes

Nice… does the pole sway at all during high winds?

1 Like

We had 11 mile per hour gusts yesterday and it sways about an inch to two.

1 Like

Likely not good. Try to do something so it doesn’t move. That’s a lot of movement in a light breeze.

(edited above - sorry, I previously answered the wrong photo)

1 Like

I would try to have a longer pole with the extra length extended down to ground (and in the ground a little). 1-2" is too much.

1 Like

OK… here is my setup. I have a 25’ telescoping mast (set to about 22 feet) attached to a 10’ tennis court fence… with the bottom set in the ground a bit. When it gets breezy the sway is not too bad (less than 1/2" from what I can tell). Having the mast attached for a full 10’ feet really stabilizes it nicely. Not sure how to upload full resolution images.

3 Likes

Just hope wind and aces won’t trigger to many false rain events

1 Like

so far no false rain (with wind). Aces… maybe :slight_smile:

Swaying is OK. If the pole is too rigid it will tend to vibrate or “sing” in stronger winds and those vibrations will trigger the haptic sensor.

This is a common mistake; mounting a not so rigid mast of shorter length to a sturdy structure or pole. Even a short piece should be strong and thick walled if possible. Masts should always be metal and grounded per NEC Section 810-15.

1 Like

Since there are no cables or conductors from the weather station to the building I don’t understand the need to have a grounded mast.

3 Likes

15 posts were split to a new topic: Metal pole and lightning impact risk - grounding

Interesting… good to know.

1 Like

Just got ours installed to its permanent location after having it temporarily running on a bird feeder pole since getting it for Christmas. Now on an 8-ft pole mounted on the southern eave of our roof.

Station link

9 Likes

That’s a great idea for placement. I’m still awaiting the arrival of my recently purchased Tempest. Have been researching locations to to place it. The vent pipe is a good idea. Will check that location. Thanks!

1 Like

and implemented PiConsole successfully:

3 Likes

Mounted on schedule 80 PVC pipe clamped to tennis court fence post with double pipe clamps. Wrapped pole with rubber to dampen high-frequency vibrations caused by balls hitting the fence.

I previously considered mounting it above the roof of my house, but I decided against it. The roofing is black cement tiles with a thermal barrier underneath, which radiate a lot of heat on sunny days and would affect temperature readings.

3 Likes

Don’t be surprised if wind causes false rain readings. Hopefully the rubber dampers can block it enough. A ball hit is relatively short lived so the Tempest may be filtering it out based on that but the longer term wind induced frequencies may not be filtered out.

1 Like

I did the same thing but went quite a bit higher.

Did not use PVC however. Used a telescoping mast.

2 Likes

Ah yes, the old reliable weather rock. :smiley:

1 Like

Initial installation 10’ galvanized pipe plus 2’ PVC extension for mounting (12’ total) secured to split rail fence post. Will consider moving to western peak of home ~ 35’ come spring time. My only reservation is ease of access if moved to high roof top. I really don’t want to have to rent a boom lift or cherry picker just to access the unit, but I also wish for as accurate (unimpeded) data as possible, particularly the winds.

7 Likes