Photos of Air Installation

Agreed! There are many nooks and crannies where the rain can get in and which will not drain or dry out easily. I’ll have to find out how durable my screen is…

1 Like

I still haven’t set mine up yet, as i’ve been busy building a new PC. Plus, i’m waiting on the spray paint. Here is part one of the radiation shield:
20180903_201001

4 Likes

that looks already cool. What did you use to make it?

1 Like

Wow, very nice indeed!

1 Like

Here you have a good tutorial of how to build a small Stevenson screen. Is in Spanish but with the pictures is easy to understand, or you can use a translator too

I’ve done one following this tutorial and it performs very well, similar to my Davis station.
In order to get accurate temperature and humidity readings with the Air, a radiation shield is a must in this station. And it has to be placed in direct sunlight and with a good airflow

5 Likes

For Australian backers, I have been in contact with our BoM regarding old/refurbished/retired Stevenson screens mostly from AWS units, Hopefully I will have some good news in the coming days. They are weather geeks too :):sunglasses:

3 Likes

They are just plants pot dishes made from a very durable plastic. I used threaded rod and nylon spacers with a few nuts & bolts. I also put an 80mm PC fan in the bottom. I have sprayed it all with a UV protective gloss paint as well.

I have it temporarily installed as I need to get one more L bracket. I have only installed Air for now, as I need to work out the best placement for my 6m pole to attach Sky to.

Temp/Humidty results look very promising, although it’s now dark, so I need to wait until we get some sunshine again.

As it stands right now, my Davis VP2 shows 17°C with 80% humidity. WF shows 17.1°C with 81% humidity. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Great, and thanks, I’ll visit the local garden shop soon.

1 Like

Great results thus far!

20180905_141312 20180904_184051 20180905_141249 20180904_181044 20180904_184233 20180904_182928 20180905_141238

12 Likes

now we are seeing some real enthusiasts inspiration and aspirator… very nice tina …

4 Likes

@moeythomas - how do you power the fan ? Any concerns about it getting wet from fog/mist/sprinklers etc. ?

2 Likes

Wow! This is a pro shield!

2 Likes

I bought an ac/dc transformer plug which has a switch to allow 3V, 6V, 9V or 12V. PC fans are designed to allow an increase or decrease the voltage, so it’s quite safe.
I cut the plug off and spliced the two wires and joined them to the fan wires, then used heat shrink to secure them and taped it up with insulating tape. It’s the same way I was using on my old wooden DIY stevenson screen for the Netatmo module. That was running for over 4 years, no issues with rain/moisture in that time. :slight_smile:

I’m running the fan at 6V - not too much power, just enough to keep it inline with my Davis’ station. Right now, the temps are identical. My train of thought is that if they are within .5 of a degree of each other, then it’s a good job well done. It’s working better than that, though.

8 Likes

Nice work, very neat !:beers:

1 Like

Is the fan sucking out the air from the compartment ?

1 Like

The fan pushes air through the chamber to equalize the temperature and humidity.

It’s the same as installing the Aur in an open area that has good air flow with no sunshine.

My question was of it is
Sucking
or
Pushing …
As I think sucking would make sense.

2 Likes

You want to push so it is forced to all the vents.Sucking may result in no air being pulled in from the upper vents.

1 Like

Then why does Davis (and most other fan-aspirated designs that I’ve examined) put the fan in the TOP of the stack…under a rain cap???

12%20AM

1 Like

I don’t know. That’s a different issue.

In the case above the fan is at the top because the bottom is solid and that’s where the sensors are located.