New Tempest Weather System

Oh well, no email :confused:

What would a current owner with an operational hub purchase? Thanks!

1 Like

We didn’t get the email out before the Holidays, but don’t worry, it’s coming! All options will be made clear well before the Tempest begins shipping.

Don’t know if this is asked already… But with the current Sky unit in mind, will the Tempest be able to sense drizzle or verry light rain?

:blush:

The goal is to be as accurate as possible.

1 Like

It will be more sensitive than the SKY, how much is yet to be determined.

3 Likes

Looking forward to some field test results. :+1:

What about the temperature correction for sensor height? There can be several degrees difference in readings between a sensor at 30 ft. as opposed to 6 ft. This is especially true during the early morning with a surface based temperature inversion. It can also effect measurements later in the day with calm winds and very little mixing. My Air unit is at 3 ft.and I am noticing early morning low temperatures anywhere from 2 to 5 degrees lower than the closest PWS on the WU net. I am moving it around to various locations experimenting with low temperature readings. My Sky Unit is 15 ft. AGL and will also be the same with Tempest…

1 Like

That is impossible to accurately calculate. As you say, there can be a difference at one time and other times it will be the same.

I have two Air units. One at one foot above ground and another 12 feet above ground. Most if the time they are within .1 degree of each other.

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 4.42.13 AM
Your 2-5 degree lower temp is more likely radiational cooling
affecting an unshielded air. Above is my air 1 in a vented shield,
and air 2 sitting out in open next to each other at 6ft.
The shield on Tempest should limit effects of radiational cooling,
even when mounted at 6ft or 30ft.

1 Like

My guess is that that is taken care of in the tempest. It needs many corrections and a physics model to be accurate at all. I assume that complex model is callibrated and trained to match a real temperature at normal height

1 Like

Why should temp sensor be shielded from radiational cooling? Isn’t that a natural atmospheric process that needs to be measured?

When there is a clear sky and calm winds the earth’s surface, car tops, roofs etc,
cool faster than actual air temp. The above screenshot the actual air temp was 36.1F,
but the grass, car tops, roofs and my air2 had frost on them. Air2 was 31.1. I verified
air1’s temp by walking around yard with handheld temp meter.

2 Likes

Just my thoughts… If weatherflow will be using the temperatures to feed back into their forecasting systems I suspect the temperature up high in the sun with any available breeze for every tempest will give more consistant information than the variety of locations people have placed their airs.
Even if the historical standard has used the stevenson screen above grass at the ideal height to read a thermometer without climbing a ladder that doesnt mean it is the ideal for the best information for forecasting.
I placed my Air in a stevenson screen up much higher to get the actual temperature of the breeze which is the air I want to know about.
Consider it like setting off a weather balloon and recording the moving breeze just above ground level as far above the air conditioner outlets and sometimes sunny then shady side of a house.
I am guessing that it will be better comparative consistent data.
cheers Ian :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There are NWS guidelines for siting sensors to provide the data they want for statistical purposes. Most of us can’t site our gear quite so ideally due to trees, fences, hardscapes, buildings, etc.

The other problem with a one-device solution is the recommendation is 10m elevation for wind, and just 2m or so for everything else. Basically impossible to do unless you go to a two-device solution like a VP2.

1 Like

Interesting. A bit surprised that the surface of the air unit would experience that much radiational cooling against a white plastic surface. Had frost on car windshield, grass, and small patch on roof when my air unit read 34 with no frost, but it was in a more sheltered area at 3 ft. AGL. I may try leaving it out in the open one night when frost is forecast.

1 Like

Another positive of the thermometer above the roof (on top of the better consistency of clear air and simplicity) is that the Tempest will provide data for new purposes previously unavailable from the National Weather Service. For example to know the localised temperature above roof height (and of course solar radiation including cloud cover) helps to determine how much energy the solar panels in that location will be generating. That information is valuable knowledge for the electricity market which they might pay us for.
cheers Ian :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just wondering if the beta testers have got hold of the systems yet and if any are publishing data - just interested as i know i was unable to be a beta tester due to being in the UK but it would be good to see some data output - esp any with side by side to the sky/air.

Andy

I assume the beta tester had to agree to some sort of NDA.

3 Likes

Same as you cfrank01. . .still trying to be patient. . .but nerves are wearing thin! No Email and obviously no pkg received.

Can you already see the weather data of a Tempest-station online?