Max/Min weather parameters

One of the nice features of having a home weather station (I think) is the ability to record and observe the maximum and minimum weather parameters (e.g. pressure, wind speed, temperature) for each day. I have recently been thinking, however, about whether it is better to calculate the max/min over a fixed daily period (say midnight to midnight), or a rolling daily period (say last 24 hours). I’d be interested in what members of the WF community think. Let me know in the poll, and feel free to chip in with “other”.

• Fixed daily period
  • Rolling daily period
  • Other

0 voters

I do it for the 24 hour period starting at midnight and at 6 am.

1 Like

For the data I gather from the SWS… and from the Davis Instruments system, I generally do a rolling min/max.

However, I am pulling the 3second data from the SWS. Grabbing data from the API, you can’t get long-term data at that resolution, which may influence the min/max numbers.
–Sam

2 Likes

D) All of the above

Calculate/display it both ways, and decide which is more appropriate each day…

2 Likes

All of the above plus some . . .

In the U.S. the standard NOAA report is for a calendar day (0000 to 2359) but NWS Cooperative Observers and CoCoRaHS stations are requested to report for the 24 hours ending at 0700 (local time) each day. Some observers who report their observations to local TV stations are reporting precip for the 24 hours since the previous evening’s main newscast and temperature extremes for the calendar day. And, for additional fun, in New York state, the NYS Mesonet stations (on their Web sites) report precip for the past 24, 72 & 168 hours rolling totals (ie: 1,3 & 7 days) and don’t report temperature extremes numerically at all but let the user try to pick them off of their meteogram graphs.

So . . . I would say that my opinion is that there should be two options. 1. the NOAA standard calendar day (like shown graphically in the fully zoomed-out WF app graphs). And 2. a screen that allows the user to enter a date and time and returns the extremes for the preceeding 24 hours.

For me . . . I solve the problem by using @GaryFunk’s WFArchiver to capture all UDP weather data into an SQL database on a Raspberry Pi and then query the database for the extremes or sums for whatever date/time range I need at that moment.

A very long answer to the poll choice of “other”.

Dan.

3 Likes

Thanks Dan (and others!) for your responses. I should have guessed that it wasn’t going to be completely simple!

2 Likes