Forecast card daily/hourly refresh?

For those of us who use an always on display using iOS app or android app (non web), will you be adding a refresh to the forecast card in the future? Currently, the forecast card does not automatically update to the next day unless you force it to with several button tap actions. I wrote about this before but never got a response on long term action. And I know about all the WU issues, but as long as you continue to use WU forecast, it would be nice if a daily refresh was added so my kids donā€™t always say " itā€™s showing the wrong day again dad".

3 Likes

Iā€™d like to know how to turn the forecast card off.

1 Like

Some just move it to the bottom. However, my kids like to take a quick look before heading out to school but have been way off when they didnā€™t realize it was still showing yesterdayā€™s forecast.

1 Like

funny my wifes sez exactly that so I put it at the bottom out of sight unless you scroll down . its on an ipad mini permanently. but absolutely the option of hourly or daily at midnight refresh would be useful or disable it option.

1 Like

you did it again ā€¦ cant believe it perhaps my repsonses have become to predictableā€¦:grin: my wife case when goes to work every morning

1 Like

I use Foreca so Iā€™d ā€œpreferā€ not to see Wunderground.

1 Like

Hereā€™s a few of the ways I found to refresh it manually in hopes it may help resolve the issue.
One method for refresh seems to be closing and restarting the appā€¦ not desirable for those using always on displays.
Tried another case to obtain WU refresh and found opening and closing ā€˜Settingā€™ will refresh the WU forecast (iOS test only).
Tried another case to obtain WU refresh and found opening and closing ā€˜Stationsā€™ will refresh the WU forecast. (iOS test only). Also tried toggling ā€œList Viewā€ which had no effect.
While a once a day refresh would solve the issue, perhaps tying the refresh rate to WU forecast updates would yield more accurate data. I think WU updates forecasts every 4 hours?

I donā€™t have a strong opinion on what forecast is used as long as it updates automatically daily.

2 Likes

I think this is a case of, ā€œoops, forgot to do that.ā€ A refresh at least every 4 hours is a great idea.

1 Like

One option for now, if you have your own web site, is to create an app. There are a number of service that let you make an app on-line and that app is nothing more than a full screen web browser. You can then create a web page on your server that just loads the web version and use that page in the app. You could then do a refresh (reload) of that web page every 4 hours. This can be done adding the following line to the of the webpage that you create.

I use this method on the app I made for my tablet. It just loads a web page that I made to display the info. Have mine setup to refresh every 15 minutes just in case.

I donā€™t use iOS so not sure if there is an option to ā€œside loadā€ an app that is not located in Appleā€™s app store.

Thanks for the idea, but I prefer to use iOS app as it fills the iPad screen a little better than the web app.

1 Like

Didnā€™t you forget to insert the code line in your post ?

1 Like

Didnā€™t notice that the forum stripped out the code I entered. Doesnā€™t appear there is any way to put code snippets into a post. Youā€™ll just have to google meta refresh for the code.

@eric You mean like this?

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="5"/>
1 Like

Not sure how I missed this the first time around, but this is a known issue that should be addressed in the next release of the mobile apps. The forecast card will refresh at least once per hour. Several other issues related to always-on displays are addressed in this build as well.

4 Likes