Display NearCast Rain and Actual Rain

Allow user when viewing daily history in the phone application to toggle on/off the use of rain check for that date. The rainfall total chosen would also be reflected in weekly/monthly/yearly/all-time totals.

Reason: At least here in the northeast USA there have been a lot of extremely heavy, very localized thunderstorms. As station density in some areas may be low, a high reading cay be erroneously reduced a significant amount by the rain check feature. Allow users to toggle the use of rain check on any date when they believe the original reported amount is more accurate.

Perhaps this has been asked for already, but I would like to see the Tempest app enhanced so that it is easier to see both NearCast rainfall and actual sensor rainfall at the same time. One can see a variety of different temperature readings without doing any Settings changes, but the only way to see the two different rainfall stats is to go into Settings and change the option. Am I perhaps missing something?

I’m new to Tempest (having switched from AcuRite) and we had our first rain today after installing the station. I also have a CoCORAHS approved rain gauge. The CoCORAHS gauge measured 25% more rain than shown in the Tempest app. Until I realized that Tempest was showing NearCast rain by default. I changed the settings to show actual rainfall and it is now in agreement with the CoCORAHS gauge.

I can see the value in the NearCast Rain calculation. But I also want to know the actual rain at my location. For example, actual rain is a more useful data point for my large vegetable garden. But I can see NearCast being more useful for things like local stream levels. It would be helpful to easily have both data points visible.

4 Likes

You need to vote for your own feature request…

This is a good suggestion and would eliminate the general understanding it seems most users have with how Near Cast works. I see a lot of people turn it off because they want to see the actual readings, but they don’t realize that they can freely switch back and forth. Thus making Near Cast an entirely unused feature that actually does have value.

1 Like

Agreed, I switched to local for the exact reasons specified above. All the data is there, it shouldn’t be difficult to impliment a graphic that would allow us to view both sets of data.

1 Like