Bluetooth Operation only on my Boat

Hello all,
I am wanting to put this on My Boat. And run it on bluetooth on a I pad or a iPhone…I understand wind direction will be ever changing and i will have to do mental corrections I intend to Place the north unit pointing to the Bow. As the boat at anchor always finds the wind in most cases. Any insight into operation on Bluetooth would be appreciated along with any other insights on this are greatly Appreciated

The hub automatically switches to bluetooth when you have the app open on your phone and the hub is in range. The light on the hub will turn blue to indicate this.

Welcome,
You could also consider using a wifi hot spot from your phone. That is how I have operated mobile remote during testing in my car.
There was a short conversation on this forum about using a sky (earlier model similar to a Tempest) on a sailing boat but the topic from memory faded out without results of trying it.
You can use the magnifying glass search button to find past discussions.
It is difficult to answer your question due to not being sure what you are wanting. My guess is only to monitor your conditions while you are on the boat and you do not require any history. But I am only guessing from why you only want to use bluetooth. Perhaps you will be out of mobile reception?
Sorry I can not really help.
Cheers Ian :slight_smile:

I don’t know why you think Bluetooth needs to use less data. The hub isn’t battery operated. And usually the hub doesn’t use Bluetooth

Not for power consumption, just that BLE data “packets” are smaller per the standard. As a protocol, BLE carries less data compared to higher bandwidth protocols like WiFi.
Either way, I’ve confirmed the byte sizes to be much smaller by directly sniffing BLE. Definitely not the same format as UDP.

The problem of the mobile app not using the Bluetooth data is still an issue though.

Does it only send the full data when the app is running? Or does it always send less data?

1 Like

It’s always the same amount of data. Even when not using the app, but connecting using nRF Connect (which triggers the hub’s Blue LED) the same data is being sent.

I think the mobile app does connect to the hub properly, the hub responds and streams the live data properly, but the app just doesn’t update it’s dashboard. It’s possible the app devs simply depreciated the bluetooth live data in favor of cloud data.

i agree, it looks like that is the case. When I turn off the internet in my router, it stops updating in the app. So its not only bluetooth that isn’t used, also the local wifi isn’t used by the app to communicate live data