Wfpiconsole start does not display anything

When I run wfpiconsole start I see the following output but nothing ever starts up. It used to work just fine but now I don’t see any information. I’ve looked through all the log files and nothing is showing as an error. Any ideas what the issue might be?

Thanks

i@raspberrypi:~/wfpiconsole $ wfpiconsole start
[INFO ] [Logger ] Record log in /home/pi/.kivy/logs/kivy_24-04-15_23.txt
[INFO ] [Kivy ] v2.2.0
[INFO ] [Kivy ] Installed at “/home/pi/wfpiconsole/venv/lib/python3.9/site-packages/kivy/init.py”
[INFO ] [Python ] v3.9.2 (default, Mar 12 2021, 04:06:34)
[GCC 10.2.1 20210110]
[INFO ] [Python ] Interpreter at “/home/pi/wfpiconsole/venv/bin/python3”
[INFO ] [Logger ] Purge log fired. Processing…
[INFO ] [Logger ] Purge finished!
[INFO ] [Config ] Verifying station details
[INFO ] [Factory ] 190 symbols loaded
[INFO ] [Image ] Providers: img_tex, img_dds, img_sdl2, img_pil (img_ffpyplayer ignored)
[INFO ] [Window ] Provider: sdl2
[INFO ] [Window ] Provider: x11([‘window_sdl2’] ignored)
FBConfig selected:
Doublebuffer: Yes
Red Bits: 8, Green Bits: 8, Blue Bits: 8, Alpha Bits: 8, Depth Bits: 24
[INFO ] [GL ] Using the “OpenGL ES 2” graphics system
[INFO ] [GL ] Backend used

I can’t see anything here that would suggest there is an issue. Can you tell me more about your setup. What version of Raspberry Pi OS are you using? Are you starting the console directly on the Pi, or are you connecting to the Pi via VNC or SSH?

I am using VNC to connect into the Raspberry PI. I have tried running the wfpiconsole start from a terminal command line as well as through the lxterminal startup. Both always used to work. My display that this was connected to died so I was just using VNC to connect up to see the information. But now for some reason it will not start up. I have done a wfpiconsole update to make sure I am all up to date and also there are no other updates needed on the PI for the OS. Just trying to find a location where there might be an error that comes out to tell me what might be wrong. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Static hostname: raspberrypi
Icon name: computer
Machine ID: 7423ea508c8a4692871735d73664c239
Boot ID: 36cdd5648203441ea6bc22fd5eade2c7
Operating System: Raspbian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
Kernel: Linux 6.1.21-v8+
Architecture: arm64

Experiencing the same exact problem on my end (but a new installation); the same verbose as the OP posted, and then the terminal waits for another command.

Trying to set up a display on a Samsung tablet via VNC.

Operating System: Raspbian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) 64-bit
Kernel/Arch: Linux 6.1.21-v8+ aarch64

It’s is hard to know what is going on here as no error is being produced. Can I suggest you try again with a 32 bit version of Raspberry Pi OS (bookworm) as there is no official support for 64 bit, which can sometimes cause issues

I have a number of other applications running on the Pi, so it’s infeasible to reinstall 32-bit just to see if the console will work on 32-bit. I tried running the command via SSH to see if there were any differences, and there are:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ wfpiconsole start
[INFO   ] [Logger      ] Record log in /home/pi/.kivy/logs/kivy_24-04-23_0.txt
[INFO   ] [Kivy        ] v2.2.0
[INFO   ] [Kivy        ] Installed at "/home/pi/wfpiconsole/venv/lib/python3.9/site-packages/kivy/__init__.py"
[INFO   ] [Python      ] v3.9.2 (default, Mar 12 2021, 04:06:34) 
[GCC 10.2.1 20210110]
[INFO   ] [Python      ] Interpreter at "/home/pi/wfpiconsole/venv/bin/python3"
[INFO   ] [Logger      ] Purge log fired. Processing...
[INFO   ] [Logger      ] Purge finished!
[INFO   ] [Config      ] Verifying station details
[INFO   ] [Factory     ] 190 symbols loaded
[INFO   ] [Image       ] Providers: img_tex, img_dds, img_sdl2, img_pil (img_ffpyplayer ignored)
[INFO   ] [Window      ] Provider: sdl2
[INFO   ] [GL          ] Using the "OpenGL ES 2" graphics system
[INFO   ] [GL          ] Backend used <sdl2>
[INFO   ] [GL          ] OpenGL version <b'2.1 Mesa 20.3.5'>
[INFO   ] [GL          ] OpenGL vendor <b'Broadcom'>
[INFO   ] [GL          ] OpenGL renderer <b'V3D 4.2'>
[INFO   ] [GL          ] OpenGL parsed version: 2, 1
[INFO   ] [GL          ] Shading version <b'1.20'>
[INFO   ] [GL          ] Texture max size <4096>
[INFO   ] [GL          ] Texture max units <16>
[INFO   ] [Window      ] auto add sdl2 input provider
[INFO   ] [Window      ] virtual keyboard not allowed, single mode, not docked
[INFO   ] [Text        ] Provider: sdl2
[INFO   ] [GL          ] NPOT texture support is available
Unable to connect to X server
[INFO   ] [Base        ] Start application main loop
[INFO   ] [Websocket   ] 2024-04-23 10:12:59 - Opening connection
[INFO   ] [Websocket   ] 2024-04-23 10:12:59 - Connection open

So when running the start command on the Pi itself using VNC it stops at

[INFO   ] [GL          ] Backend used <gl>

whereas over SSH it uses ; it looks like there might be another problem re: not connecting to server X once this is resolved

I’m afraid I don’t think I can help here. I have just installed a fresh copy of 64 bit Bullseye on my Pi 4 and the PiConsole runs without issue (even though 64 bit is not officially supported).

This is a known issue - the console cannot be started from SSH

I just reflashed 32-bit Raspbian on my Pi 4B and getting the same output above when trying to start the console through RealVNC Viewer.

When connected directly to a display via mini-USB to HDMI, I was able to start the console without issue.

Edit: I set up xrpd and ran the command connecting via Microsoft Remote Desktop, but the refresh rate was inadequate so tried aRDP and it’s working well with the screen alive app active on my Samsung Tab S4.

So it looks like the problem is with RealVNC, not Raspbian

2 Likes

When I did my testing with RealVNC I had a monitor hooked up via mini HDMI at the same time. I’ll try again without the monitor and see if I get the same issues

1 Like

Ended up reinstalling Raspbian again (64-bit), switched graphics to x11, and now I’m able to run it over RealVNC without issues. So not sure what the problem was but my issues seem to be resolved. Thanks for your diligent maintenance of the project and helping everyone troubleshoot any issues that come up :smile:

Great!

I can recreate the issue if I don’t have the Pi hooked up to a monitor. Can you share how you switched the graphics to X11?

In the terminal, I typed sudo raspi-config. Then navigated to 6 Advanced Options → A6 Wayland → W1 X11. Then clicked Ok and rebooted the system

1 Like

I ended up finding the issue. For some reason my .Xauthority file was owned by root. See attached. Once I made that file owned by user pi and group pi, the desktop started working again.

The mystery is how did it get changed to be owned by root.

2 Likes