Weather Underground - Issues and Comments

Hi Scott, not sure how exactly WU defines a ‘quality controlled’ station. But regardless, their quality control checks have nothing to do with your WeatherFlow station settings. You are only sending them weather data from your station for them to republish.

1 Like

Honestly, I’m not sure that anyone still working at WU knows how it works…

2 Likes

Yeah, and unlike WF there’s nobody from WU customer service who ever answers any emails.

4 Likes

Apparently they’ve all gone ‘underground’. :wink:

4 Likes

Actually, I seem to recall reading that the getaway driver in the Brinks Robbery was released from prison in April.

For those who don’t know the history, Weather Underground was a terrorist organization in the 1960-1970s that started out at the University of Michigan, and they did a lot of bad things.

In the early 1990’s, a grad student at the same University of Michigan started an Internet weather service called Weather Underground, which I thought was a tasteless name having lived through the Brinks trials that were held in our local county’s courthouse. The project spun out into an independent company, which was bought up many years later by The Weather Channel and subsequently bought by IBM.

Anyway, Dr. Masters supposedly wrote all of the PWS data ingest code, and now IBM is in the process of re-writing the entire WU site to run it from their own cloud hosting. Most serious weather geeks have given up on WU at this point, since it is broken beyond repair…

5 Likes

I agree and have the same thought.

Yup, couldn’t agree more. I actually had mixed feelings when I first signed up years ago at WU for exactly those reasons, the name. Really bad taste.

I registered my PWS with Weather Underground - got a station ID and key - but it shows “offline” and doesn’t appear on the map. Their customer service hasn’t responded so I thought I’d throw it out to you experts. Any ideas on how to get the PWS “online”?

Thanks

2 Likes

That’s a great idea vreihen.

I got an email from WU support informing me of the disconnection and to set up the wifi. Even though my wifi was already set I proceeded to set it up again and once I input the password immediately I got another email from WU telling me that my base was connected once again and so far it has not disconnected yet.

Not sure if this has to do anything with it but maybe my provider reset my network and a new ip was assigned? Don’t know if you can assign an static ip to the unit so “if this is the case” it wont happen again.

Thanks for the replies.

1 Like

I got my station online today with zero pain, and it showed up within a few minutes. The only “issue” is that on their little map, the location is off by a block or so, which is weird since they use street address when you sign up for a station ID. Anyone ever have any success getting them to correct this? Based on the comments about their support, I’m guessing I’d get ignored.

So is there an actual way to make it connect? Ive made 2 stations that looked “online” but never showed any data whatsoever. Im now on my 3rd try and I really do not know what to do here.
KAZPHOEN926 is the ID, 924 and 925 were the other trys.

Lookout/Braeburn - KAZPHOEN926

info

FORECAST FOR PHOENIX, AZ

Station Summary

Online(updated 20 years ago)

Looks like it is not reporting to WU are you sure your hub is connected to the internet a quick way to tell if it is connected is to check the weather flow web interface Tempest put your 4 digit station ID in where the XXXX is Also make sure you entered your password when you set up sharing with weather underground You got a gold Star though

https://smartweather.weatherflow.com/station/9914/grid

It seems like its online fine and has been.

Which password and where are you referring? Im logged into both WU and WF

And magically its working? lol

I see that now :joy: Better leave it alone now

1 Like

I would love to see some of that 35% humidity here

Thats kind high for us considering we have gotten no rain this monsoon season!

We gotten a lot of rain and its 66% here already probably was all WU fault they are pretty unreliable a lot of complaints at [https://www.wxforum.net

1 Like

I’ve got the same issue… KORGRANT130 is showing as “offline” no matter what I do. I’ve done everything mentioned above and still can’t get it online. I have another weather station (OSI) that is on its last legs, but it shows up KORGRANT4.

I’m thinking of trying to swap the new and old stations on WU to see if that works…

FWIW, if you guys are expecting WU to be available ‘or’ responsive to questions or complaints, you’re simply dreaming. Their service is so bad and getting far far worse it seems.

7 Likes