Very high rainfall amounts. How to calibrate Sky?

Thanks, Bill. Inaccurate rainfall is an issue many users are experiencing and something we’re focused on addressing. Please see this thread for more detailed reporting and discussion: Rain Gauge Reading - Wrong

SKY has been measuring here for several months. I know you’re still working tons of hours on fixing things, but Sky is still reporting inaccurate rain data despite months of reporting problems by many. Not good.

In past 24 hrs, rain is way off:
… WeatherFlow Sky: 12.1 mm rain
… Davis Vantage Pro 2 on same pole as Sky : 6.6 mm
… NetAtmo: 7.6 mm

Getting a bit discouraged. I would suggest you describe the firmware as BETA until things are fixed. Some measures are working better now (temp and humidity) but the standard deviation and error rates of the data is much too high across the world to be reliable.

In my view, the unit is not ready for prime time. I’m happy to continue being a beta tester as needed, however.

2 Likes

Got my system a few days ago. Noticed that the rain was also very high. Last night storm produced rainfall of 9.14 inches on the Weatherflow. My Davis pro 2 measured 2.12 inches. Lighter rains the past week produced like results.

Yes, I have the same problem. My rainfall readings are constant, even during dry weather. There’s been no rain today and it’s showing 0.9 ml for the last 24 hours. Like the reports from other WF operators, the heavier the rain event the greater the discrepancy between my old gauge and my Sky.

Something must have changed after 2 weeks of raining reading fine, Ive accumulated 4.9 mm today, been sunny no rain with no wind over 24km/h

Do you realize you posted this twice?

3 Likes

sorry about that my anti-virus said it blocked the first message

Hi station ID 4664 we had some very nice and need ed rain yesterday FIY WF registered 13.8mm …actual rain by visual rain gauge 9.2mm, not too far off. Thanks WF team its a great piece of equipment :+1:

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Rain Gauge Reading Seem Off (auto-calibration system not yet deployed)

I’ve got just the opposite problem - my WeatherFlow is reading about 41% less than my AcuRite 5in1, and my old fashioned rain gauge. Interestingly enough, the AcuRite and the old time rain gauge read nearly identical rain amounts (0.51 and 1/2 inch respectively), while my WeatherFlow measured 0.3 inch of rain.

1 Like

Seeing some better rain results today. Steady, moderate rain measurements seem to be quite accurate. It’s the heavy storms here that need some work.

1 Like

We’re coming to the end of a rain event here with plenty of winds (wind advisory here in NY) and my Davis is now at 1.05" and my Sky sits at 0.92. So my issue is the opposite of most here, but not with an unmanageable error. Sky is underreporting by about 10% relative to my VP2. What’s interesting is that at the end of our last storm, which also measured a bit over an 1", both the VP2 & Sky were within .01"! So I’m not sure what happened here other than a different wind direction. At about the 0.5" mark during the storm, both units were within .02", but then the Davis ‘pulled ahead’.

Unlike the last event though, winds & gusts were absolutely solid on the Sky throughout the storm. The Sky caught gusts that the Davis just couldn’t react quickly enough to register.

1 Like

Same rain event here in Ct. First time my SKY and Davis VP2 were in agreement. Both had 1.31 inches.

2 Likes

Mind is matching neighboring stations well for this event, which is presumably a similar system that you guys saw in the northeast?

1 Like

Yup, same event that you had.

1 Like

Thanks for the reports, folks. Keep them coming!

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Rain sensor and vibrations

Is it possible to increase the sensitivity of the SKY for rain? It appears to not detect drizzle. My Davis Vue recorded 0.10" of rain over 4 hours time and my SKY detected none. Is this normal for the haptic sensor? I was surprised the SKY didn’t detect anything…

2 Likes

There have been approximately 723,823 reports regarding accuracy of rain reporting in the last year :slight_smile:

Best current answer is the continuous learning calibration for precipitation is still on the “they’re working on it, and making progress, but it’s not deployed yet” to-do list according to multiple posts from WF.

3 Likes

I feel I need to report my issues with the rainfall sensor, simply because they are the opposite of most of you. My Sky rain sensor reports considerably LESS rainfall than actual. For example, this weekend we had a 1.25 inch event (as measured from a standard rain collector), but Sky only reported 0.3 inches of rain.

Aloha from the Big Island,
Michael

1 Like