Use a Kindle as a WeatherFlow display

… Fast forward… 5-minutes after making my post above, I believe I solved the issue.

I opened the WF App on the Fire-8, went to settings, stations, my station, and performed WiFi Setup.

Ever since I did this on the Fire-8, Wind Speed has been updating as expected, with no displays of “- - -“.

I hope this info will help anyone else setting up a Fire-8 as a WF Monitor.

Happy Weather to everyone! :grin:

3 Likes

Did you change anything, or just re-set the existing configuration?

I did not make any changes, just made the “connection”, I guess?

It hadn’t occurred to me to perform this step. I have only had my Weather Flow Station for 1-week, but I used my iPhone during the initial setup. I do not understand the “technical aspects” of using the iPhone for the first setup. My iPhone was my “Monitor” for seeing the information until today, when I setup the Fire-8 to be my Monitor.

Perhaps by performing the “Wifi Setup” using the Fire-8, it became the “Master” data receiving device?

While the Wind Speed information is now visible 99% of the time, I have still observed the “- - -“ on the Fire-8, but very infrequently. Perhaps it is an issue with the “Android App” which is unable to display “0.0” when the air is still? My iPhone shows “0.0” during the same time the Fire-8 shows “- - -“.

It’s pure coincidence.

1 Like

Ok. I have not yet observed a “- - -“ Wind Speed value when viewing the App on my iPhone, and I have not yet seen a “0.0” on the Fire-8.

I see this often on my phone.

I see what you mean. I guess that I typically do not view the data on my iPhone for a long enough period of time. Typically I only view for less than 1-minute.

Thanks Gary!

I go days and weeks not using the WeatherFlow application.

I use my own.

1 Like

Gary: Do you know of any way to change the Font size of the secondary data displayed for each category? When viewing on the Fire-8, it is difficult to read the secondary information from a few feet away.

Currently there is no method for changing the display.

It is more likely that the Fire was trying to connect with the Hub via Bluetooth, and was at the fringe of radio range. Turn off Bluetooth on the Fire, and it will be forced to use wifi connectivity…

2 Likes

Interesting. As you suggested, I turned off the Bluetooth on the Fire and now it does report Wind values of “0.0”.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will continue to monitor the Fire’s performance as a WF Monitor.

1 Like

Well, sometime earlier today, the Fire-8 stopped updating it’s Data again.

I do not know when, I noticed that the wind speed was “- - -“ for about 60-secs. I then touched “map” at the bottom of the screen. It then showed the world map of all WF Stations. I then touched “Now” and it then showed current conditions with changing Wind Speed values.

Any other ideas as to why the Fire-8 would stop updating the weather data?

Is it going to sleep or something? I use the Keep On app for a Galaxy Tab E, maybe it would work on the Fire.

1 Like

I believe you are correct. I did enable “Developers Mode”, which kept the screen on, but I believe that it was still going into “Sleep Mode” based upon the time interval selected in the Settings.

I downloaded and ran the “Keep On” App identified in this discussion. It has been working for 6-hours now. I will continue to monitor its performance.

Thank you!

**** Update: The Fire-8 stopped updating the WF data after 12+ hours. I will search for another way to disable Sleep Mode on the Fire.

That looks great - new to this and trying to figure out the best way to have a full-time display. Is that the PiConsole app running on a Raspberry Pi? I think I need a more “canned” solution than a RP system, so maybe a cheap iPad or Fire or something would be best for me, but I really like that display! Will it work on anything but a Raspberry Pi?

It’s ArchiveSW that runs on a RPi. The display is HTML and easy to customize.

Amazon has early access to Black Friday prices on the Fire tablets right now:

7" (9th gen 2019) = $29.99
8" (8th gen 2018) = $49.99
10" (9th gen 2019) = $99.99

All prices “with special deals” on the lock screen. You can save the extra $15 for removing the ads, since a 24/7 weather console never shows the lock screen.

I just ordered another 10" to go with my 2017-vintage 10" one that I run the WeeWX Belchertown skin on 24/7 using the awesome Fully Kiosk Browser. My ancient 5th gen 7" Fire tablet is barely capable of running the WF app these days, so I’ll probably send it to the tech trash recycler and replace it with a newer 8" for running the WF app 24/7.

There’s no saying how long these prices will last, so as the saying goes…stock up and save… :rofl:

6 Likes

A few questions

• can you post a screenshot of yours running Belchertown ?
  • how do you hack it to keep Belchertown onscreen without locking the screen ?
  • anything else we need to know before jumping on the 7" one for that low price ?

Let me answer those in reverse order:

1. Jump on the 10" for Belchertown. The 7" does not have enough screen real estate for the skin, and the 8" isn’t much better. The only thing that I would use a 7" for is running the WF Android app, as seen below.

2. Fully Kiosk Browser is the key to everything. It was designed to be used on always-on tablets at trade shows and stuff, and I believe is also available in the Amazon app store in addition to Google Play.

3. This is an early beta of Belchertown on the 10" tablet, with the 7" above it running the WF app. I did a few custom HTML tweaks to strip the banner headers for tablet use, since I know where :wink: I live and need that precious screen real estate for weather data:

There may be a more recent picture in the Belchertown development branch issues tracker on GitHub showing dark mode on the tablet, but this is all that I have handy right now…

6 Likes