Solar Radiation, Illuminance, and UV Index, is there any difference?

I think you conclusion is right. It also shows that the Sky unit is measuring something unaffected by your filters and uses that to calculate the UV value as it clearly doesn’t measure important part of the spectrum that would effect the UV value. But if one knows the physics behind it, one could perhaps deduce the UV value from measuring a different part of the curve or even a single point. (a point that isn’t influenced by your filter)

UV filters block a small percentage (between 0.1 and 5%) of the light that passes through them. Because of how the light interacts with your filter , this reduces the sharpness and contrast of your images very slightly.

Interesting experiments, @iladyman. For reference, the UV sensor in the SKY is the “off-the-shelf” APDS-9200 sensor from Broadcom and it’s response peaks around wavelengths of 320nm. Here’s the spectral response of the sensor, pulled from the sensor’s spec sheet:

3 Likes

I have a feeling that the typical UV filters are cutting of but not high enough compared to the UV sensor in the SKY

https://www.lenstip.com/120.5-article-UV_filters_test_-_supplement_Hoya_HD_UV_67_mm.html

Here you see a high quality Hoya and it is near flat till 340 nm and from there steep up.
This is with a quality filter. Down the page you have links to other pages with other brands and some really cut off way less so the UV sensor picks up UV as it would not be filtered at all.

4 Likes

that kind of curve combined with a typical uv photo filter curve should have a significant influence on the measurements. Perhaps the coating on the sensor isn’t working and way more of the visible light makes it trough to the sensor.

Has anyone noted that the Broadcom APDS-9200 UV and Ambient Light Sensor was discontinued on June 8, 2018 with a last time buy of December 31, 2018?

Well, we definitely noticed that! And so we made a pretty large last-time buy back then in order to give us plenty of time to find a replacement. And the good news is: we found one well before running out of stock. Liteon makes a nearly identical part, the LTR-390UV (they likely bought the design from Broadcom) and all indications are it will be supported for the foreseeable future.

5 Likes

it seems to be rather imprecise with regards of UV index (can be off by 1 full index number)

Yes, but that’s no different than APDS-9200. A nominal accuracy of 5% FS is typical for UV sensors, which also drift over time. Our CL process improves upon that tremendously, pulling it down closer to 2% FS, and keeping any drift over time in check.

4 Likes

I’m sure you already looked at this one, but I’m using a VELM6075 in my DIY weather station, on the off chance you haven’t!

Thanks. Yes, we have played with the Vishay UV sensor. And we like it, though it doesn’t seem to be any more accurate than the APDS-9200 or the LTR-390UV. Also, we would need an additional sensor for solar radiation since the 6075 is UV only. That’s possible, but more complicated and more expensive. Vishay is supposedly working on a combo sensor, but nothing is available yet. Maybe in the future!

3 Likes

Ah yes, I’m using the TSL2591 for light (IR, Visible and Fullspectrum) - I believe there are some calculations to get solar radiation from that but I haven’t looked into it yet (using it for Sky Quality Meter calculations at the moment).

2 Likes

but there is a graph with a few measured points vs a calibrated machine, and there it appears to be off by at least 10-15% for some points.

There was a paper published in the Journal of Measurements in Engineering, Vol 8, Issue 4 (Dec 2020) that provides a corroboration of Solar Radiation = ROUND(Illuminance/120, 0): “A conversion guide: solar irradiance and lux illuminance” https://doi.org/10.21595/jme.2020.21667

1 Like

yeah, for Solar irradiance and illuminance such a relation is useful. the UV value is however a different story.

I’ll be “that guy” to dig up an old thread…but I’m really glad I found this thread… I’ve been debugging a graphing program for 4 hours. My lux value simply will not display, and I couldn’t figure out why. That was until I happened to notice a very tiny piece of the Lux color just barely below the Solar Radiation line. The reason I couldn’t get the Lux value to display is because it’s directly beneath the Solar Radiation value.

Ah the life of a programmer… :joy:

1 Like