Solar Panel Power for SKY - Now Shipping

Hi Tim, welcome to the Forum.

Yes, the base mount hase the same geometry.

Could it work for the Air as well as Sky? Maybe… but the Air is supposed to be in the shade which kind of makes the solar power unit kind of a silly thing to add… how will it get juice?. Maybe if there was a cable that would allow a different location for the solar panel unit than the same location as the air device…

2 Likes

I would really like to see how a SPA works in the shade on an Air! The Air draws much less power than the Sky, and can charge on a cloudy/rainy day. AFAIK, the contacts for external power are already on the Air, so it might just work (as long as your Air isn’t in something like a Stevensen screen)…

3 Likes

It only needs a lux value of 2000 to charge.

I have an extra SPA arriving in a few days… I’ll try it and let you know.

2 Likes

As I stated a few days ago, as soon as I get home I’ll be adding the Solar Panel to my Air. It is out direct sunlight but gets plenty of ambient light.

1 Like

Undid install my solar power 1 week ago, since then the vibration in my installation is so intense that I do have false rain reading almost daily.

I am planning to remove my solar panel to come back to my previous installation and without false reading. Anyway, my Energizer lithium ion battery were still like new after almost 10 months and a cold winter in Quebec.

Think twice before going for the solar panel ? It debalance the unit.

hi @ledoux_mi

I will be very interested to hear your results. If you take care not to disturb how your mount is currently sitting you will be able to compare if the difference was truely the solar panel.
Before you remove it just feel if there is any movement in any of the connections.
I thought I wanted it to be more secure in the bayonet fittings so after I put it together I wrapped silicone tape tightly around each join.
And I have sometimes had trouble with the diameter of my metal pole not being ideal for the clamp, probably from some minor swelling of the pole from some hamering into the ground.
Good luck cheers Ian :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Erratic readings on my solar panel this drop was when it was raining but since I installed I have had a lot of dips seems to me it should be a gradual up and down

Does this look normal ? Statin ID 4784

TO me this is not a normal behaviour.

Is it hard to reach the sky ? If not maybe take the solar panel of, look at contacts both side if there is something that can cause a bad erratic connection (some dirt …)

but next to that not much we can say from here.

@anon84912554 can you please have a look at raw data … and help from here

1 Like

It not that hard it was clean when I installed it I will will lower it down and double check connections I did not notice it being loose when I installed but I really did not pay that much attention seemed to snap together fine.And the drop today was the lowest I have seen to date.

1 Like

I just took my sky down and there was water between the sky and the solar panel I checked and the Nylon gasket is clean and intact and it does not seem that loose I did not have any issues with the energizer Lithium Also between the pole mount and the solar/battery pak there was a lot of water. I checked and the nylon seal is clean and in place on the pole mount

1 Like

I have dried everything out and reinstalled solar/battery pack and am going to reinstall on pole making double sure that everything is tight and I guess we will see what happens

Hi, thanks for checking and please keep us posted on any issues. Water between the pole mount and solar panel is expected and not an issue; there are no electrical contacts between the two attachments.

Yes but there should not be any water between the battery / sky I have it all dried out now and double checked tightness and seals and contact pins and we will see if it still has eradicate readings on the voltage read my post above New Topic

tnicholas

Since it was raining and the voltage measurement is s very low proprietary I would guess that the reading is off because of timing. If it doesn’t continue to show these low readings then I would not worry.

I went back in the voltage History and this seems to have been an on going problem here is another screen shot from 5/21 and there are lots of other smaller dips back in history.

It looks to me that the water has been present for some time and it has been draining a small percentage of the voltage. But I dried it out and made sure everything was properly latched and clean and will monitor it. supposed to rain all week so should not take to long to see. Sorry Gary but your proprietary and timing does not make much sense to me.
So should there not be a linear up and down on the charge recharge shown on the graph , I realize that there is voltage regulator built in and clouds and darkness has a effect but it seems it should be more linear ? What are the parameters for charge discharge voltage to kick in and out on solar panel regulator?

Those readings are not an indication of fault.

Here you go @vreihen and others interested. New SPA running my Air in an “always full shade under the eaves area”. I’ll let it run for a few weeks and post results, but I’m sure it will work fine. ROI math doesn’t really work for this but it would save on some battery recycle.

SPA%20pic%202

6 Likes

Just put up the new solar panel with my sky. Install went very smoothly and did not need to reconnect to the hub. It all happened nicely by itself. One quick thing, the connection between the sky and the solar / battery unit could be a bit more solid. Maybe increasing the profile of the seal ring a bit would make it a bit more solid. I added a bit of duct tape (white) to assure that the connections between the base and the panel and the panel and the sky are solid. My unit is at the top of a 3 meter pole mounted to my fireplace chimeny at the very peak of my roof. I place i do not plan on visiting until the equipment fails (hoping this is many years from now).

5 Likes