Rain calibration since firmware update v94

Hi @dsj,

I have just been watching my windsock and the Sky rocking around on my (vibration reduced) mount with the guy wires and flapping wind sock in gusty winds up to 28knots and the speeds appeared correct relative to the wind sock. There was no false rain. Then just as light spits of rain began falling the rain readings began correctly much quicker than any tipping bucket would detect because the drips were not even running down my window yet.

In the first 10 minutes of light large drops of rain the windows and concrete are just covered with a complete wetness but it is barely running off. Shiny tiles are completely wet. For that amount of wetness I guess half a mm might be correct. It would have made washing on the line wet. My plastic funnel gauges are still completely dry at the bottom because the rain hitting the sides is wet but isnt running down yet. And Sky has recorded 0.4mm. My opinion of these readings is that Sky performed very well and with quicker and finer sensitivity than possible with a tipping bucket. Great! I am satisfied.
Humidity is 65% with strong wind so is drying the drops fairly quickly from the windows and the sides of my plastic funnel gauge.
However I then discovered room for improvement…
Checking again at 2:20pm the plastic funnel gauges are drying off with nothing at the bottom, the concrete, tiles and windows are also almost dry again.
What is weird is that the Sky is now recording more rain and even heavier than when it was raining. From 2:22pm I struggle to feel or see any drops of rain.
cheers Ian :slight_smile:

2 Likes