Physical Tempest Powered 'Things' 'Screens' and 'Devices'

What is that famous label brand console in your video ?

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 6.06.53 PM

Shocked - SHOCKED that it’s not a wfpiconsole !!!

:slight_smile:

Waaaaay cool project. I was glad to see that the hardware part is just a few bucks for the servo and a few bucks for the nodeMCU.

Is it possible (or reasonable) to try to drive a set of such gauges with one raspberry pi using python ? That would let folks build small one-unit physical consoles with just one power cord required.

???

1 Like

Well spotted - i know, i know! Huge supporter of WF and their innovation to the market, but we do also run one of those ‘other’ units alongside (tbh its mainly due to the rainfall measurements, but that’s for another thread!),

A Pi version with multiple servos is quite easy, it needs a servo hat though as sadly the pi does not run servos well directly (they jitter). We do have a nice Pi Zero version with ‘voltmeters’ incoming.

It’s also all open source so a python version would be great to see and it’s long term project so we should see quite a few versions develop.

Sunny - thanks for the big like!

Andy

There’s a fellow who recently got a $70 US Rainwise tipping bucket to work with weewx by wiring it up to the GPIO pins on a pi zeroW (link to github). The python code is pretty short so I’d think it could perhaps apply to anything acting like a tipping bucket (link to google-groups thread).

Reason I mention it is that weewx has a very good WF UDP driver, so if you disable using the WF rain readings in weewx.conf and add this particular extension, you should get the tipper all integrated into your otherwise WF setup and use all the nice capabilities of weewx to feed MQTT and influxdb and do cool grafana dashboards or node-red or…

Not quite sure it’s a better solution than a ecowitt gateway + tipping bucket and a minimal weewx ‘inside’ in docker or something, but it does take wifi and keeping the zeroW dry (and powered) out of the problem.

5 Likes

Wow. Those Open Gauges are beautiful. My DIY skills are far from this level, so I’ll hope for a more consumer-level product (via crowdfunding?) one day that I can support!

1 Like

They are made to be as simple as possible - the Barometer version is perhaps the easiest - in the next post… but it would be nice to actually make them -

5DialsFrontsm

https://connected-environments.org/portfolio/6172/

perhaps weatherflow @dsj could do a kickstater for the gauges…

Just adding to the incoming versions - also looking at using neopixels and making it as simple as possible - below is a digital barometer, driven by the weather flow API, so anyone with a tempest station should be able to make one (its simply a pi zero, a strip of neopixels and a bit of wood). The labels are 3D printed so might need to source those or make a ‘kit’ people could buy and make… draft image below while i work on it…

*lamp not included…

2 Likes

That’s very cool! (Extra text to make >20 characters)

Morning - just adding an update if anyone is interested. We now have a Voltmeter Wind Speed Gauge for anyone interested - currently running from MQTT but quite a simple edit to run from UDP as needs be.

This is now added to the 3D printable round gauges and the neopixel barometer, all open-source with the 3D design files, code etc to edit.

Full details at:

https://connected-environments.org/making/open-gauges-the-voltmeter-gauge/

edit - sadly my Tempest seems to have died again, its has been overcast for a while and i think the power keeps dropping…

Andy

3 Likes

Another fun project :slight_smile:

regarding your Tempest, just had a look and it is since very long in survive mode. It hardly sees any sun or at least direct sunlight. Is this so ? Possible to move it (might be less perfect for weather data) so it catches more sun ???

Maybe bring it in and use some Led floodlight and see if it charges normally ???

thanks for looking at it - yep I’ll charge it and then move it, it is not in an optimum position (mainly as my pole was giving false rain in high winds) but it does need more sun…

Andy