Photos of Tempest Installations :tempest:

how much air do we need to transport via a big tube from one area to another to create typical high pressure weather? Would that be the answer to your billion dollar question?

Methinks the power needs for such an arrangement would far exceed the p/v’s ability to make surplus! :wink:

how high is your tempest (AGL)?

58’ above base of tower, 703’ MSL

[My install](Photos of Tempest Installations :tempest: - #989 by ding.b

No rain/snow today and just the strong breeze associated with storm Arwen and it’s been falsely recording all day. I’ve shot a movie of it and it is visibly quivering in the gusts about 20+mph
Can only think of sand now or/and another clamp!!!

My wooden poles vibrate slower than that and don’t cause false rain readings. Maybe sand would work, but if you can lower the vibration frequency it would take care of it, too.

1 Like

Hi guys, just wanted to share a photo of my Tempest which is finally up in my backyard. Mods please move to correct thread if possible.

Regards, Adrian

4 Likes

as requested :innocent:

1 Like

I have now wedged 2 pieces of wood between the pole and chimney.
If this successfully stops the movement at the top, I was planning on getting some rubber blocks to replace the wood or even better drill 2 more clamps off the brickwork.
Failing that my only other choice is to lower it to slightly above the opening of the chimney but that will mean it’ll be near the roofline which I was trying to avoid.

I’ll be wedging these bad boys in to take the place of the wood soon (if the weather goes mild), Blocks of rubber is very expensive so got these from a large online retailer I won’t mention but is akin to a place in S.America for a few quid (pounds sterling) each. I think the wood is doing a good enough job stopping wobbling along the length of the poles. Not pretty but quite frankly IDGAD

Edit; Getting gusts

`near the 20mph range and false readings are creeping back. I can only hope rubber does a better job when I get a chance to get up and put it in place of the wood which I think may have budged a bit!
!

2 Likes

isn’t it something simple like the little cable hanging there, hitting the mount?

https://tempestwx.com/station/63577/

Been holding out for a couple years while we bought a house, then changed jobs, moved, and bought our current house), but took advantage of Black Friday sale and just got it set up today.

Used a 10’ conduit from Home Depot

Attached to back corner of the fence using some conduit straps into the horizontal beams on the back of the fence. Put the pole about 6 inches into the ground and it’s pretty stable back there.

Hoping to eventually get it mounted to the roof, but this will due for now. It’s far enough away from trees and the houses where it should do pretty good given the suburban setup. It’s pretty open back there, so I’m eager to see how it performs. :slight_smile:

Very excited to FINALLY have one… been waiting a long time to get one of these, and I love how easy it was to get up and running.

7 Likes

Those work ok but you might want to think about conduit hangers for easier maintenance. I got ones with stainless bolts so it was simple to take the pole down for maintenance. Just squeeze the ends a little and you don’t even need a wrench to spin the nut off.

Ancient link is here at Attaching Pole to 4x4 Wood Post? - #6 by vinceskahan

No, not at all. That TV coax isn’t coming into contact.

hard to tell from a single picture ;-), but anyway try to find some loose item. Tighten the bolts etc.

Add more pipe. Get it at least 10’ higher. Let it sway. If it’s too stiff it’s gonna vibrate and that’s what sets off the rain sensor.

1 Like

yes, the bolts are recommended tightness, not too tight as to cause potential snapping but very snug.

I may go for a wooden pole but am unaware of anything suitable?
The metal is too rigid and won’t allow any sway, because I think my choice was for strength?

Rubber in place now (whatever the outcome, it’ll be interesting to see what storm Barra gives!)

I have now lowered the pole and the Tempest is now slightly above the top of the chimney cowl.
I got fed up with getting false rain and hope this remedies the issue.

It looks like there is another bracket at the top of the chimney attached but it is an old one not holding anything apart from the dangling TV wire wrapped over it.

Hello, just wanted to share another photo of my Tempest setup in backyard in Lakeworth Florida.

https://tempestwx.com/station/63157

8 Likes

:ok_hand: Looks Great! Perfect spot!

1 Like

Sat 12/11 breezy/windy day here.

I did get some false rain not from the wind but spruce needles!

As you can see even with heavy pipe it sways a bit.

3 Likes

Newly revamped Tempest weather station setup in my backyard with new Cocorahs rain gauge. :muscle:t2::cloud_with_lightning_and_rain:

https://tempestwx.com/station/63157

7 Likes