Photos of Tempest Installations :tempest:

Naaaa…the laser will just burn it off and make it through anyway. Haven’t you heard of Rudolf?

1 Like

My tempest install - atop a 10ft aluminium pole clearing the roofline by a good 5ft. Excellent exposure to what little sun we get!

4 Likes

I’d close the bottom opening, wind might play organe and create micro vibration -> false rain events.

1 Like

Hadn’t thought of that! Thanks for the advice

1 Like

I’d be careful there, sealing up the bottom leaves no place for water to drain out which could lead to trouble down the road!

1 Like

cap the bottom of the pole. . .but. . .drill several very small holes in the bottom of the cap. . to drain off any rain water that might collect…as cpufrost mentioned above.

2 Likes

Here is my installation. I adapted a plate designed to support a TV antenna and then pop riveted some stainless steel eye straddles to my steel pole so I could attach three guy wires for stability. Everything seems to be working well so far, however I have had birds displace the bird deterrent spikes a couple of times with the result that it has partially blocked the zone where the wind flows through (which I presume isn’t ideal). You can see the Sydney skyline in the background if you look carefully.

3 Likes

Nice setup.
You said “I have had birds displace the bird deterrent spikes”
Did you notice what type of bird?
I feel that the rubber ring for holding the spikes is not tight and grippy enough. I have a test Tempest unit where Cockatoos have destroyed everything in the past and without the spikes are happy to play on it. But I dont think they have touched my Tempest yet.
If the ring gets moved I would try adding a hose clamp around it.
And I would consider turning the spikes on the southern side towards the center.
The spikes also cause dips in the solar radiation. If you require accurate solar radiation you need to adjust or remove some of the spikes.
Edit. Your pole is similar to a setup i had in the past. I have been through a few designs with plenty of corrossion and electrolosis. My thought is that In time the pop rivits may corrode and pull out. I would run a loop of wire around through all the wire ends so that if a rivit pops out the loop will be a backup. And i would tape the loop up so that it can not move in the wind.
Cheers Ian :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Ian

Thanks so much for your thoughts. We have a lot of yellow crested cockatoos around and I suspect it is them, but I haven’t seen any birds on the unit. I was actually thinking about putting a large hose clamp around and gently tightening it against the rubber ring so I will give that a go. I also like your idea of running a loop of wire through the the cable ends. I was also thinking about using two hose clamps as well, with each one tightened over the rivets. Multiple modes of protection!

Regards
Glenn

1 Like

Hi Glenn,

Yes I use stainless hose clamps around my pole and I like your idea of putting them over the rivets. Probably that is enough and a better idea than my suggestion of the loop through the ends.

cheers Ian :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m contemplating how to install mine also… Can I confirm is the best diameter of the pole? I think 31mm - 33mm is ideal.

Also what do people recommend either PVC or Steel or Aluminium pole? I guess the challenge with and Alu pole is somehow insulating it if I get a steel mounting bracket. I assume some rubber will do the job?

I need to get mine probably a meter or more above the roof in clean air. I have a boiler flue near to where the bracket would mount so I want to get it clear of that. See attached pic.

I also need a cranked pole to get around my ~4 inch roof over hang so I like the Cranked Alu. pole Phil recommended

This mount looks quite strong, thanks for the recommendation Peter. I just need to insulate from the Alu. pole https://www.aerialsandtv.com/product/low-profile-wall-brackets

Many thanks in advance for recommendations.

1 Like

Yep that should be about right. From the FAQs (https://help.weatherflow.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005229767-Siting-Installation-for-Tempest):

• The pole mount is designed to fit a standard “one-inch” nominal pole (outer diameter = 1.315 inches, or 33.4 mm) as well as a 1.25 in (32 mm) outer diameter pole, and anything in between.

I think this depends on the trade off between the height of the pole you require, and the weight of the different materials. PVC filled with sand is perfect for shorter poles, but if you want something longer, you might need the strength given by Alu or steel. You can find some good info on different options here: Photos of Tempest and Installation

2 Likes

Thanks Peter! I just read the site recommendations! Mount high if wind measurement is important, low if rain measurement is important but away from (exhaust vents, central air units, active chimneys)… ahhhh… ok rain measurement is more is more important to me so perhaps as long as it’s far enough away from that boiler flue, which 1m is probably enough, then I shouldn’t go too high.

Now to find the right mounting solution… thanks for your help.

This looks good, strong… as recommended by TriClanger…

1 1/4 in x 10 swg - Aluminium Round Tube
(1 1/4 in x 10 swg - Aluminium Round Tube : AluminiumWarehouse)

Now to the bracket… :slight_smile:

1 Like

First bit of kit arrived today… pole fits perfectly in the base attachment… feels rock solid given its 10 swg (3.25 mm).

I’ll post some photos when I receive the bracket and when I install…

2 Likes

It’s up… relatively easy process… rock solid… Only think is I should have turned it off before moving it as all the movement recorded 49mm of extreme rain :smile:

4 Likes

That setup looks very nice. My only recommendation will be to move the Cellular booster antenna to the same pole as the WF, since the antenna proximity to the WF pole will distort the booster antenna RF pattern + increase the VSWR and have a negative effect on the booster :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Many thanks for the advice fpb! I was wondering that so I’m glad you piped up! I was worried it might wobble the WF pole in wind but it’s very stable so I do think I have anything to worry about. I’ll do that!:+1:

1 Like

I’d put it in between the two clamps holding the mast. This way it’s far enough away from Tempest radio hardware and in a sturdy place to prevent vibration in strong winds.

1 Like

Heavy pipe for a small device like the “Tempest”

1 Like

But a nice wall clamp, and the rusult is very nice, I should move the other antenne the new pip just above the clamps on your new pipe.

1 Like