Photos of Tempest Installations :tempest:

fantastic view you have up there :grinning:

2 Likes

First trial location … so far tracking well with nearby wx sources…

4 Likes

Looks good as long as you are aware that the location isn’t going to give good wind readings for your general location. There may also be temperature differences as well.

4 Likes

. . . and to supplement what “gizmoev” just stated. . . .try to get the Tempest up a little higher. Even a 3 foot PVC pole would be most rewarding!

4 Likes

Where is that awesome view from?

tweatherman

2 Likes

British Columbia, interior, on the Fraser River. It’s very beautiful.

1 Like

Yes it is!

tweatherman

1 Like

Shoot the damned thing!

1 Like

That will not work. Has to be up MUCH higher!

2 Likes

That’s perfect for my application, roof peak on fascia.Ordered on AMAZON, THANK YOU! Can you add a length of pole if you want it higher?

1 Like

My latest installation of a Tempest unit along the SW Washington coast. This unit sits about 600 feet from the hub and takes a beating from the wind and rain. It’s been in this spot for about a month with no problems: https://tempestwx.com/station/29520. I created this as a memorial for one of my neighbors (that’s his hard-hat on top) and it also serves as a trail marker, eagle perch, and of course…a weather station:-)

14 Likes

This is my installation in South-Tyrol, Italy

18 Likes

Any false rain detection/accumulation yet? Monitor the rain values when you have some real wind.

1 Like

I had now almost 2 years a Sky on it, only occasionally with wind over 50km/h there were wrong values, and that happens very rarely…

3 Likes

Lucky you :wink: Hope it remain the same with the Tempest.

1 Like

Looking at the mount it is interesting to see how solid it can be and I wondered the same. Might be a valuable lesson for those having a similar structure to attach to. I find the Tempest design is less influenced by vibrations than the Sky. Still not perfect, but I think it is better.
cheers Ian :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is in Germany, near the Nürburgring.
I’ve mounted the Tempest on a 9m flagpole with an 3D-printed adaptor.
The building is an old stable / barn from my neighbor.
It has to be 9m, otherwise it will be completely surrounded by buildings.
The 3D-printed part fits into the flagpole, which has ~47mm on the inside. (I guess it should be 2" for US people :smiley:.
It is fixed on the ground (I just made a small hole) and it is bolted to the roof of the barn.
Readings seem way better than my old SKY & Air, which where not elevated so much.
StationID: Tempest

7 Likes

Hi, thanks for reading this. Could you weigh in what you think is the best location for my newly arrived Tempest? I’m an absolute noob when it comes to weather measurements, so bear with me.

It concerns station 32633 at my backyard, and I’ve read the Tempest Siting and Installation guide.

There are basically two places in my backyard that I consider, both on a pole: (option 1) higher but near the house (4.5m high, 3m from the house), or (option 2) further from the house but lower (2m high, 10m high).
The attached map schematic and picture may help.

I am aware that I won’t get very accurate wind readings in either location, and am fine with that. What I am mostly concerned with is somewhat accurate measure rainfall. (I plan to add some logic to my home automation to retract the sunshade in case of rainfall or high wind).

Let me know what position you would pick: 1 or 2
(and if you feel bored, you can also find the tempest in the picture).

1 Like

It depends on what you plan to do with the data. Wind readings at both locations will be affected by nearby structures. Location 2 might be a little more reflective of conditions in the garden, but the humidity number might be a little influenced by the water in the ditch. I’d still vote for location 2.

1 Like

My pick is location 2 because it will have better airflow with more natural airflow giving better temperature and wind information.
BUT if rain is important then it is more important that the mount is a solid structure without anything bumping it in the wind.
Ideally for accurate rain it would require a solid pole in the ground with nothing touching it.
If it gets knocked by anything in strong winds it will record rain when it is not raining.
In which case if the pole in location 1 will be more solid then use that location.
cheers Ian :slight_smile:

1 Like