Photos of Tempest Installations :tempest:

The wind is as about as good as it’s going to get since the two Tempest units are reading observations at slightly different intervals. UV readings are within a few tenths of a point of each other at any given time. All observations are pretty close by the minute. I believe it is going to be very difficult to get these units entirely in sync, and they don’t have to be for me. I am happy with them all being as close as they can. WeatherFlow has done an excellent job with these devices.

We all have to remember what our Weather Prophet @GaryFunk once said,
A man has one weather station; he knows what the weather is outside. A man has more than one weather station; he has no idea what the weather is outside.

7 Likes

Those are about the wisest words I’ve heard in a long time lol.

1 Like

And a man that has a bad Tempest, hopes that @rderr may find the reason for this unhealthy unit.

6 Likes

I hope you get your Tempest back soon.

2 Likes

I hope the reason for the failure is discovered. Several have the same issue.

4 Likes

Castle Rock, CO

Thick walled pole filled with sand, anchored with a bag of quikrete

9 Likes

Very excited to have mine! Set it up off of my fence in about as open an area as I have in my backyard!

5 Likes

Hi from Odessa, TX! Your station looks great!

1 Like

do you have cattle in that pasture , if so I wonder what kind of reading it will give off when one licks that thing like a big old lollipop :cow:

4 Likes

A thunderstorm event which occurred this afternoon at 2100 hours Z Local Time: 1700 hours EDT:
Thunderstorm with heavy rainfall, occasional inner-cloud and cloud-to-ground lightning overhead and North. Rainfall accumulation comparison as follows:

NWS 8-inch Gauge = 1.08 inches
CoCoRaHS 4-inch Gauge = 1.06 inches
WEATHERFLOW TEMPEST = 0.74 inches
DAVIS VP2 PLUS = 0.90 inches
AMBIENT WS-2000 OSPREY = 1.12 inches

Ordered the DAVIS SPOON 10AUG20. Thanks to the efficient USPS, I have yet to receive this package!

Billy Tholborn
CSRA Weather and Air Quality

3 Likes

Let me know when you get the spoon and how it compares to the NWS & CoCoRAHS gauges.

1 Like

Tempest mounted on 1” x 10’ Schedule 40 galvanized pipe. I used three pieces of 3/4” x 48” EMT arranged 120° apart to brace the 1” pole. The base is a hexagonal-shaped concrete footing 39” across the flats. The footing is 25” deep at the front and 5” deep at the back, matching the contours of the underlying granite. Rebar reinforces the footing and also ties into the granite.

I still need to grade around the footing and plan to add sandstone veneer to the vertical faces so it blends into the surrounding rock a little better.

Location is west of Golden, Colorado at 8,195’ MSL.

Glen

16 Likes

looks really professional!

1 Like

The rock behind it looks like a StarWars Stormtrooper.

“The Protector of the Tempest”

Cool setup!

16 Likes

Hey Billy!
Enjoying the report data you have been sharing. I’ve seen similar results between my trusty old Vantage Pro2 station and the WF setup…WF being light on the “rain” side. I’m going to keep pestering the WF support about this as I’ve been told it could be a couple different things (rain check, haptic vs tipping, etc).

Thanks!
Lane
(KG4TXZ)

3 Likes

Lane,
Received the Davis Tipping Spoon assembly yesterday. Will install today and be patient for the next heavy rainfall event. Thank You for your comments! So far, WF Tempest has been light on measurements…

Billy Tholborn
CSRA Weather and Air Quality
https://www.csrawxaq.com

2 Likes

While I wait for my Tempest to arrive, I’m thinking about getting it in the best location on my property (Pleasanton, CA). I’m a one story home with, many of my neighbors are two stories. But the peak of my roof is pretty high, nearly as hight at the two stories on either side of me. I’m thinking of using the Winegard 37-in Mast Antenna Mount and a 10 foot metal pole, if that isn’t too high. My eaves are perhaps 20-25 feet above ground level. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Jeff

1 Like

wind in urban areas will always be effected by its surroundings, so it doesn’t matter too much. Put it at a height that you are interested in, in knowing the wind. Use you common sense to find the best spot so the wind direction is least effected.

3 Likes

There’s no such thing as too high, but in a suburban situation it’s not going to be easy to get above any structures/trees nearby. Keep in mind that you want to minimize any sway or resonance and that you may occasionally need to be able to get access to the sensor to reset it or for cleaning.

3 Likes

I’ve put mine about 10 feet above my backyard deck. For me, this is where I want to know the wind and rain, not elsewhere way above my roof. To each their own I guess.

All locations will give good data for where they are.

3 Likes