Photos of Tempest Installations :tempest:

New installation on my flat roof in Albuquerque, New Mexico

12 Likes

Finally got it up yesterday. Used painted galvanized pipe and sealed with weatherproof tape. It’s about 15 feet off the ground. Readings look great so far!

7 Likes

Got it stand on an external loudspeaker stand. As there is no storm ever in Bangkok, Thailand. The sturdy tripod never fail for my Misol weather station nearby. Hopefully not too for my slimmer Tempest.

8 Likes

Just waiting for the bird deterrent and I will raise it a little higher.

This was the old station the MetPak II bit the dust happy to get the Tempest a much cleaner look and feel.

4 Likes

Did you check the pic from a couple days ago ? Bird beat the system.

1 Like

Does anyone here know what happens to the batteries in the new tempest if it’s left in the dark for a long time with the switch turned on? Is it a lithium battery with a BMS to prevent damage? I have the lower part of the mount solid but if I mount the solar part on the coach and put the coach into blacked out storage will the batteries eat themselves?

1 Like

Ladies and Gentlemen,
May I introduce myself. I am Billy Tholborn. A FAA Certified Surface Weather Observer (METAR), a National Weather Service COOP Observer, COOP Station GRANITEVILLE 1.2NE, a NWS Severe Storm Spotter (SKYWARN) and a Ham Radio Operator GENERAL CALL SIGN KC4SRA. In the images, are my weather stations in the foreground (AMBIENT WEATHER WS-2000 OSPREY, WEATHERFLOW TEMPEST installed earlier today, DAVIS INSTRUMENTS VANTAGE PRO 2 PLUS). In the background of the first image, are the NWS COOP Weather Monitoring Equipment.

11 Likes

Welcome, Billy. Excellent weather station lineup. Good times indeed.

1 Like

KC4SRA DE WL7BBD

Greetings and Welcome to the Tempest° WeatherSystem! You have a very nice set up. . .a true backyard Weather Bureau ! . . . something I’d like to be jealous of!

Although I have an old “L7” call from my days in Alaska. . .I am the ONLY “L7” here in Ø-Land in Bellevue, NE. . .just south of Omaha! Keep in Touch.

Tnx & 73s

de WL7BBD (J.L.) [click on my image picture for my brief resume.]

1 Like

Thank You, Mr. Davis!

2 Likes

L7,
Thank you for your compliments! Awaiting for the bird deterrent device to come (next Tuesday). I have quite a few bird perches…LOL! I wish there were hummingbirds! From May 2014 through March, 2015, I lived in Dakota City, NE (extreme NE Nebraska) and worked in Sergeant Bluff, Iowa at a new fertilizer plant. During the twin tornado event, in Pilger, we received the tornado warnings and sirens (not used to hearing those) and evacuated to a local elementary school. But, we never saw tornadic cloud signatures. Could not acclimate to your extreme winter wind chills!

2 Likes

KC4SRA. . .you might be interested in one of these. . .if you don’t already have one.

Most of us “Tempest” folks already have 1, 2, 3. . .or more of these!

WL7BBD / J.L.

3 Likes

I’m curious to how those stations all compare.

1 Like

Introducing the new Davis WXNet Weather Array.

Finally all three stations plus CoCoRaHS Stratus gauge are located in one place. Thankfully, this didn’t take too long to build. The staining of the wood and spraying painting the poles took the most amount of time. Very pleased with the outcome and most of all - no more wind turbulence from the roof.

9 Likes

That’s very nice & creative K.J. I give you 4 more for a total of 5 :heart:s

1 Like

Thank you very much. It’s definitely there since being buried two feet in concrete. The fourth wing on the south side can mount another weather station, but I might need to hold off on that since I also just had a 33,000 lb. above ground Storm Shelter installed. Might need it with the active forecasted hurricane season. :cyclone:

1 Like

@KJ.Davis However. . .I am a little surprised that you don’t have any type of Davis Weather Station in your collection.

2 Likes

Ha. Davis Instruments = :heavy_dollar_sign::heavy_dollar_sign::heavy_dollar_sign:

My brother runs a Davis Vantage Vue and he’s jealous because my Ambient Weather Osprey does more out of the box. I came very close to getting a Davis station but cost per features went in favour of Ambient Weather. That’s another reason WeatherFlow caught my attention. Good value for the money.

Now if Davis Instruments want to sponsor my Weather Array then I have spot for them on the south wing of the array. :star_struck:

2 Likes

So I take it that you don’t receive any family discount on their products??? :laughing:

3 Likes

Good one…

1 Like