Photos of Tempest Installations :tempest:

I too believe in serviceability, the best designed products still can have issues. This is why I never mount a satellite dish higher than the first floor roof, you never know when you have to sweep snow off it :slight_smile:

But in all honesty I have owned 4 weather stations and each had a need for servicing once or twice in their lifespan

2 Likes

35 yrs ago our house came w a mast mounted high for an anemometer installed by the previous owner. When I got this new gadget I couldn’t mount it high enough to get out of the wind shadow from house, barn, trees. But hooray! During some recent roof work the man who installed the original mast (he’s still working) mentioned that it was mounted with a pivot so it was easy to drop down for maintenance, with which he had a lot of experience bec the anemometers often needed work. So— he dropped down the mast, clicked on the weather station, and posted it up. Easy-peasy. Now it’s about 60 feet up and working a treat.
We also have solar panels for hot water and electricity and got a closed-cell snow rake online. Long extendable pole and easily done. Works on dish antennas, too.

3 Likes

I would definitely assume you’ll need periodic access. Even if roof access is available, I would consider a mast mount over something mounted to the roof. Look at a sleeve or pivot mast. Depending on the overall height, those could be braced to the side of the house.

1 Like

Just got my Tempest. Installed an hr ago. Took only 15 minutes. Excited to get some history into it. Photo shows my solar and wind generator.

2 Likes

Better late than never. I’m using a schedule 40 pvc conduit pipe as a mount to a 4x4 fence post about 10 feet in the air. I’m not planning to go any higher due to I don’t like heights and in case I need to do maintenance. The hub is near the window in the last picture. As for frame of reference, the trees in the last photo are south of the Tempest.

7 Likes

It seems the photo is missing in your post.

1 Like

I am SO jealous of your location! 1) Nice wooden privacy fence for Tempest. 2) No tall trees to block/deflect rainfall or to block incoming solar for charging. Even the tree to the north of Tempest is not that tall. Looks like good prime location :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you. I’m fortunate that I could find a good place and the wife is indifferent where I installed it.

1 Like

My wife doesn’t like living in a “science experiment!” Wx stuff on the roof and in one section of the backyard (Station 1). . . it Does look like a “Science Experiment!” :laughing:

2 Likes

That’s really interesting color in those photos. Did you use some sort of filter? Looks magazine like.

1 Like

I used the auto filter on the iPhone 11 Pro and then filtered once more supplied by Google photos

2 Likes

Hi, everyone! Finally moved into our new house…the Tempest as been sitting in a box since May. Still don’t have the ideal placement for it yet, but I wanted to get it outside to start collecting and sharing data! I just used a 2’ long 1" diameter PVC pipe from Lowe’s. Mounted it to our fence with zip ties…nothing too high speed here. Long-term solution is to mount it to the side of the shed in the background. Wind data obviously won’t be too accurate because of all the trees, but we’ll see how it goes!

Weather station link is: https://tempestwx.com/station/22669/

6 Likes

Tried to put photo. Thought it was correct. Will try again.

%

8 Likes

hopefully those antenna’s won’t generate to much vibrations under windy conditions (false rain)

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. Will note this when the wind picks up. Pretty small surface area antenna but it is large. May have to move it if it affects the tempest. Thanks.

1 Like

Finally installed mine. Love it!!

8 Likes

Finally got my Production Tempest Up and running also moved the Tempest Test unit and mounted all three of my weather flow products in a trifecta hopefully I will not have any problems all should have clean air fetch from dominate wind directions, I have officially run out of Rigid conduit and had to do more threading than I wanted The 2 Tempest are 15465 and the sky is 16584 :joy:

9 Likes

fishrman. . . VERY nice setup. A weather station area to be jealous of! I look at each and every installation photo. . .and I’ve gotta admit. . .in MY opinion. . .your setup would be voted #1 ! It looks like a true “weather bureau.”

2 Likes

Installed my new Tempest on my dock using an 8’ closet rod from Home Depot. The rod fits the Tempest perfectly and the color is an exact match. I initially had a problem of false rain readings whenever the wind was blowing from the South above 5 mph. I think I was getting some atomized spray from the lake. I raided it another couple of feet above the water and that seems to have resolved the issue.

7 Likes

Well. That’s an interesting place to mount it. I do miss the water.