Photos of Tempest Installations :tempest:

My Tempest has been up for less than a week. Used a vinyl wrapped wooden closet rod from Lowe’s which has been suggested a few times on this site (was worried about using an un-grounded metal pole and the wobbliness of PVC). Using a satellite dish mount previously used for my Davis Vantage Vue to attach it to the the peek of my roof. Will be interesting to see how the pole holds up…so far, so good! :smile:

6 Likes

Welcome aboard! Stratford here!

1 Like

Your station has been offline for awhile now.

2 Likes

I inadvertently deleted it, and I’m not at the location to reinstall. I’ll get it back up this weekend.

2 Likes

I am planning to setup mine this exact same way. Did you use the keyhole connection or did you use a very short 1’ pipe and maybe a screw in flange? Basically, how did you mount the Tempest? Thanks

1 Like

Hi! I did use the keyhole, that’s right on top of the 4x4 that is supporting the pergola. I will say that I can get some false rain notifications if there is a bunch of movement on that end of the deck…chairs, people, feet. So, I may be relocating it…stay tuned.

2 Likes

Matt, where did you find those brackets?

1 Like

I found them on Amazon…got the pole at a local ACE hardware…

-M

5 Likes

Really like your Guard Dog! [S]he should keep your Tempest well protected.

1 Like

How 'bout this for creativity – eh? This is Station 1 in my backyard. From left to right:

1. Tempest Field Test unit
  2. DVVISS
  3. the new “Bellevue Tempest° WeatherSystem”
  4. WFAIR-01 underneath a Davis 7714 Radiation Shield.

Not pictured: WFSKY-01 which is located at Station 2 attached to the chimney at the North end of the roof of the house.

The Pool Ladders are there for easy access to the equipment and to do PMIs (Preventative Maintenance Inspections) and bi-weekly cleaning. The spotlights in the lower left of the picture shine up at the Tempests & DVVISS so I can see them after sunset.

Yes there are LOTS of trees around. This neighborhood was established from the mid 1950s to early 1960s. People back then went TREE-Nutz. . .thinking it would provide shade. . .which it does. But. . .too much shade kills ability for solar-powered items to collect enough sunlight. There is a big opening directly above the station equipment. . .so rain collection is “fair to midland!”

6 Likes

Just received mine after waiting since 1/26. Temporarily installed for setup & testing while the wind is light:

6 Likes

For dog and Tempest. . .watch out for scorpions!

1 Like

Update: I was having some potential vibration issues (along with some other issues WetherFlow has already resolved) so I replaced the vinyl wrapped wooden closet rod with a 3 foot long galvanized water pipe, capped at both ends and filled with sand). I also replaced the old satellite mount with a TV antenna mount which is much more stable. The Tempest is now about as secure and stable as it could possibly be. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve had our station mounted for nearly two weeks. Single screw mount on the deck rail 13 feet from the ground. NW/W wind speeds may read less due to the house, but overall happy with placement and readings so far. Snapped picture this afternoon following a short rainfall. Tempest Station

8 Likes

Received my tempest a couple days ago, put it up on the side of the house this afternoon. We live in Colorado in the top of a hill. https://tempestwx.com/station/21396

7 Likes

Got mine yesterday and up it is :blue_heart:

6 Likes

Hello group. I received my Tempest earlier this week and installed it this morning. A gable antenna mount was used. The mast consisted of a 5’ section of 1.25" PVC plus a 2’ section of 1" PVC. So far, so good. Right now, Its detecting lightning about 20 miles away.

9 Likes

Mounted on 1" grey PVC with Grainger’s wall pole mounts to my roof eve 21 feet above ground level here in Central KY.

20200612_141836|690x310

6 Likes

The production Tempest was delivered this morning and installed just in time for storms firing up in the area. Tempest field test unit (up front) Tempest production unit (middle back) Ambient Weather Osprey (right).

10 Likes

lovely clouds and nice picture overall

3 Likes