Obsolete : New Tempest firmware: v134

Uh Oh! – the Goa’uld !

2 Likes

Definitely seeing the reboot issue here, starting to track it closely now and even the last 24 hours looks like:

8/18/20 - Reboot at 10:22 AM until 10:23 AM
8/18/20 - Reboot at 11:24 PM until 11:37 PM
8/19/20 - Reboot at 1:53 PM until 1:55 PM

CM8NSz

4 Likes

My 2nd Tempest replacement sensor (Unit #3) rebooted again overnight. That’s 2 random reboots in less than 15 hours. 2 different units exhibiting the same rebooting behavior for v134.

Well. . .it made it this far! This is the first RE-boot of ST-2827 since having v134 installed at 5:15am CDT on Saturday August 1st. It appears that nothing has changed…either cosmetically or technically with the data.

That’s significant downtime. It looks like the station was rebooting/offline for almost 10 minutes.

Actually. . . 8 mins. The primary reboot after the initial install was 7 mins. Will have to keep a sharp look-out to see if this becomes a recurrent issue. Unfortunately I was not downstairs in the “Weather Center”. . .so I didn’t have a chance to look at the Hub to see that the Green LED had turned Red. I have 3 hubs with a mirror in the back so that I can monitor the LEDs (since the Hubs are facing frontwards and it’s hard to see the LEDs without the mirror.)

1 Like

I would advise to open a support ticket with WF. I think this rebooting problem is a more widespread issue than most people are aware because there isn’t a notification for rebooting.

There is a direct correlation about the sensor rebooting and missing data. On average when I have a reboot, I’m missing 2-3 minutes of data with each occurrence. The data won’t backfilll because the sensor is rebooting.

I only stumbled upon this issue by checking the uptime on my station every day.

Both of my Tempests seemed to never have more than a day of uptime since the latest Firmware upgrade. I put a ticket in and now they’ve both been up for 3 days. My Hub is on 21 days of uptime so it doesn’t appear to be losing connection when the Tempest does. Support responded yesterday and said it hadn’t rebooted in 2 days so maybe it’s gone and to keep an eye on it and also that they were aware of the issue. :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

The most frustrating bug is a unpredictable bug that occurs randomly. I would recommend keeping a log of the reboots and capturing screenshots of the missing data. When evidence is presented, it’s harder for support to close the ticket.

Computers normally reboot when it encounters a fatal error in software/firmware that it doesn’t know how to handle or escape from. The million dollar question is the code snippet that’s causing the fatal error. I wonder if v133 had the same issue. If so, the last stable release would be v129.

3 Likes

I just submitted a TC for the reboot that ST-2827 displayed earlier this morning (see image 5 threads up). Since WF is More Than swamped with issues of all kinds. . .I mentioned to them that I (JL) don’t see the need to have ST-2827 replaced at this time. This was the first occurrence of that happening. Besides Tempest° Field Test beta pre-production unit (ST-7764) is already in the shop at the MicaPlex in DAB (Daytona Beach). The most recent message I have from them is: “We’ve received it but have not had a chance to evaluate it yet.”

WF is having a rather rough time. . . all the issues. . . all the replacements being sent out. . . on top of having to be safe and working in a Covid-19 regime.

1 Like

My Tempest arrived on 8/3 with v133 installed. I wasn’t aware of reboots, but maybe that was before I knew how to pay attention. The unit got updated to v134 around 8/7. Since then, it reboots about every 24-30 hours. I’ve seen it get around 40 hours twice (most recent reboot about 30 minutes ago after almost 40 hours). The shortest time I noticed was 5 hours, but most occurrences are shortly after a day since the last reboot.

I’ve had the unit reboot in the middle of the night and the middle of the day.

That’s when both of mine started rebooting with the 133 update

Thanks for providing this info. I recommend to open a support ticket with WF so they are aware.

Have you opened a support ticket with WF?

Yes long time ago they said they were aware of issue and was hoping a new update would fix it and closed the ticket

This ticket has been closed. To reopen this request, please reply to this email.
Advanced Support (WeatherFlow Support)

Jul 30, 2020, 3:38 PM EDT
Hi Brad. We’re still investigating the “reboot issue” and hope to resolve it in a future firmware release.
________________________________________WeatherFlow Advanced Support

1 Like

Interesting…Maybe this issue is a low priority because it’s just causing reboots. It would be nice if WF would provide an update on the fix. It’s annoying that it’s causing data loss.

They do not know They have a unit of Garys that started around same time and are dissecting it to try and find out whats happening with reboots

1 Like

I just sent back my unit too yesterday so they can tear it apart to determine the cause as well.

Since WF is aware of this issue I recommend people don’t open a ticket but instead report here. This will free up support to focus on other issues while the real cause of the issue is investigated. As has been stated multiple times, they are working on the issue and anyone who has written software can attest, it is sometimes quite difficult to trace a bug, especially when it is intermittent. I’m sure it isn’t a low priority issue.

5 Likes