Metric versus imperial units

Don’t forget the Beaufort Scale!

Yes, I could certainly get behind everyone in the world switching to SI units - so much simpler than Imperial (unless you grew up with Imperial of course!). The world would be a lot easier place to get around if there were just one system of units.

As for time zones and daylight saving time changes, even am/pm… all I can say is “WHY???” My own state (Florida) just voted to stay in DST year-round. There are still a bunch of hoops to jump through, so it may not happen for a while. But it’s a change I welcome, and hope others will follow, despite the pain and suffering I know this will cause developers around the world. It’s a step in the right direction. I would be fine with everyone agreeing to use UTC, even if your “noon” (when the sun is overhead) was at 0617 and mine was at 1823. Better to redefine the number that goes with ‘noon’ than change the “zone” so noon is always (almost but not quite) 1200. Or, maybe we should all just switch to Internet Time

Speaking of standards, does anyone care to predict who will win the IoT standards race? The only positive thing about current “standards” is all the choice we have! :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

in reference to dst in 2016 we switched to,all year round apart from longer darker mornings at worst still daylight at 8:50am in winter months that was the only adjustment. in reference to devices and electronics a few headaches many older devices still require adjustment most newer devices use the new turkey time automatically . i seem to recall many organizations had problems at the initial changeover where there systems were to old and relied on embedded timezone functions. most of it gets resolved sooner or later .

1 Like

Doesn’t American Standard make toilets? :slightly_smiling_face:

As for why, blame the railroads for creating time zones for scheduling purposes. I am all for UTC being used globally, and all of my clocks run in 24-hour time already.

On the metric front, weewx has “metric” and “metricwx” units definitions to get around the use of different measurement standards being used in various parts of the world all supposedly under the metric system…

2 Likes

Nah, I think Indiana got it right, no DST at all. Studies seem to indicate no money savings with it at all at least acording to most of em’. I’m gonna run now, so David doesn’t pull the pin on a “virtual stun grenade” to quiet down the rabble rousers…:wink:

1 Like

I think the European Commission also advised to stop this stupid switch, it isn’t cost saving. But now 28 countries have to adopt it … might take some time :roll_eyes:

1 Like

If God had intended us to use the metric system, we would’ve been born with 10 fingers and 10 toes.

5 Likes

we nearly are born that way

1 Like

^ looks at his hands and feet… Woo Hoo, I’m Metric!!!

5 Likes

I would worry if you have 10 fingers

1 Like

Looking at my hands and feet…Woo Hoo, I’m a computer!!! Two hands and two feet. Gotta love binary math… :rofl:

2 Likes

Binary would be one and none.:smile_cat:

2 Likes