Incorrect Wind Direction follows Null data event

I see this happening now also with my new Sky and without a NULL / reboot event. The wind is steady SW, I have a VP2 on the same pole to confirm all the data. Direction switches both in power save mode enabled or disabled. Interestingly, it switches by 90 degrees now, sometimes 180.

Thatā€™s not good news! Iā€™m waiting to hear if they will supply a new Sky unit or whatever. Looking like I will have to get the old Davis VP2 out of retirement!
Looking at the wind speed on your last graph, it does not seem high enough to trigger a reboot (if that is what is happening). Reboots only seem to occur at gusts into the 30-40mph range.

i had a similar failure after / during a powerful squall (attachment) / continues to read intermittently

/ wind direction should be south west

Yup looks like similar symptoms.
My Sky unit failed a couple of days ago with a wind sensor fail and uv fail status shown. Rain sensor seemed to be ok. Today I fitted a new Sky unit which was received last week so we will see if things improve.

Did the Skyā€™s behaviour got regular again ?

Yes it did. All seems fine again. Both direction and velocity read normally.

1 Like

I was hoping this was an isolated phenomenon but we have had another episode. They occur when peak gusts begin to exceed about 30 mph in an approaching system. Gust velocity suddenly starts reading in excess of 50 mph and direction becomes random and erratic. Also I begin to occasionally lose wind data all together from sky over a proven very reliable path. Screenshot attached. Event commences around 1:00 PM on 1/18/20 and continues until about 1:00 AM of the next day at which time sky recovers. Looks to me like software. Comments???

Thanks in advance!

That looks quite uncommonā€¦
Did you already mention your Station ID ? So we can have a look to some details.

or at least mention it here, you will find it according to this:
https://community.tempest.earth/t/station-id-how-to-find-it-and-what-it-is-good-for/4276

1 Like

Wow thanks for such a fast response. My id is 10689. I have my station public.

Looking at your station data from yesterday, with temps near freezing and recorded precip, itā€™s possible you had snow or frozen liquid on the plate where the wind is measured. Does this ever happen on clear windy days, or just when itā€™s cold rain/snow?

something very weird going on with your station, and next to what SLOman suspects (I confirm)

I see at several moments your battery voltage going wild. You use the SPA ?
I took this from your station and as you can see it is going jojo.
And at the same period there is no freezing temp but your air is dropping like 10Ā° in 30 minutes

Can you please have a look at your RSSI values (push the green little bullet down right your page). Feel you have several issues combined

1 Like

Thanks for your help / pushed the green button / yes the solar panel is attached / rssi is -51 //

sky has been up for about 23 hours since the episode // both times this has happened were during heavy rain and wind conditions but only when the gust velocity reaches above about 35 mph // no problem on dry days but gusts usually are not as strong //

1 Like

water on plate can be responsible for these weird wind readings but not the battery

@wfsupport : can you please have a look at the raw data ? Something weird going on. Thanks

2 Likes

Hi Eric / new developments from here / solar panel battery voltage gradually fell below 2.2 V and sky dropped off line / removed solar battery assembly and installed 8 lithium AA cells / sky instantly reconnected / I plan to reinstall outside this weekend ///

question: how do I get a replacement solar battery assembly?

thanks in advance //

Ken / k8gbs

1 Like

support via the website : http://got.wf/contact
support via mail : support@weatherflow.com

3 Likes

I have a 3-month old Sky mounted on the solid metal fence (only ~2 foot height) with practically no vibrations possible. We have had several days with wind gusts 70-80 km/h. This morning it did the same thing as reported in the original post. It switched direction for 180 degrees and doubled the wind values. See attachment. The Sky reset obviously as the uptime is 1 minute or two when I checked. It also reported WIND_FAILED status.

For completness: I have another station in another (windy) location which reported the same thing many times before it finally failed.

Iā€™m very sorry to say this but I finally quit with WF and will stay with the cups in the futureā€¦ WF is just not reliable in relatively severe conditions.
WF never explained this phenomenon apart from ā€œa possible water drops in the platesā€, etc. We have no rain now.

At 7:30 AM it could be a condensed water drop ?
Whatā€™s your stations ID I would like to have a look to the other parameter.

At 60 km/h real wind gusts I donā€™t think there would be water drops from condensation.
https://smartweather.weatherflow.com/station/15259/grid

But it detected rain as will in the morning, is this a false detection either ?
Donā€™t you have an Air connected ?

No, just the Sky. No rain, just lots of false rain. Here is the photo of the installation. The inox tube goes all the way down to concrete. Itā€™s solid stable.