Fahrenheit and Celsius

Would like the ability to show simultaneously, both Fahrenheit and Celsius temps on the APP and also the smartweather page. Would also like to show simultaneously, both metric and imperial measurements where applicable.

1 Like

This is particularly a great idea for the temperature. It helps teach us to easily convert and learn the value of each measurement.

1 Like

That’d be another good use Gary. My request has more to do with the fact that several Europeans live in my community during part of the year, and like to use my weather station data if it can also be displayed in heathen (aka metric) units. I prefer christian (aka imperial) units myself. lol Btw, they get a kick out of heathen vs. christian units nomenclature.

2 Likes

My wife is Vietnamese and is still learning Fahrenheit. She likes seeing both so she can compare.

Capture

1 Like

Throughout the world, the official units are metric, even in the UK and the USA. The use of the ancient units seems to me to be archaic. What really gets me are the BBC weather forecasts where the temperatures are in Celsius but the windspeeds are in mph.

Probably apocryphal, but it was said about 20 or 30 years ago that only two countries in the world were not using the A…, B… series of paper sizes, Yemen and the USA! (Actually, not strictly true, because the NIST were publishing their standards in A4 format!).

1 Like

Shouldn’t Britain’s currency be measured in “kilos” rather than “pounds”. “That car costs how many kilos?” lol

3 Likes

If implementation of my suggestion would require temps as low as your sample shows, I’d withdraw the suggestion! lol - I live in Florida! Seriously though, your example perfectly shows what I am suggesting

I have been banging my head against the wall with a new home heat pump system where the controller under the hood operates in Celsius integers. The temperature swing on the thermostat is +/- 2 C, so trying to get it to hold a nice 70 F (21 C) means the heat kicks on at 66 F and turns off at 73 F. My DW has a few “non-christian” things to say about the “heathen” thermostat. :fearful:

As for the Pounds of currency thing, it makes perfect sense to us Americans when we visit her majesty’s realm. Our smallest paper currency is the Dollar bill, whereas the British smallest paper note is five Pounds (about $6.41 USD today). With the weight of those Pound coins being as high as they are, we pity y’all for having to lug pounds of Pound currency around the mall.

No discussion about confusing units would be complete without pointing out the difference between mass ounces and fluid ounces… :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

That’s the big reason I prefer farenheit for temperatures. 1 unit vs 1.8 units is a huge difference.

2 Likes

Never thought of that aspect in the difference between F and C.

1 Like

It’s the same with weight. 1 unit US vs 2.2 units metric. Metric has the advantage only in distance.

5 Likes

…and the same with speeds…

Drives me nuts that the m/s conversion to mph or knots is so huge.

1 m/s = 2.23694 mph
1 m/s = 1.94384 knots

Have people saying things about never seeing an values between 0kts and 1.9kts… etc.

1 Like

Yeah. it should mm/s.

5 Likes

My thermostats are graduated in one half degree Celsius which is a finer setting than whole Fahrenheit degrees.

3 Likes

I have the same in Farenheit. No big deal. Most humans deal in integer values.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

actually many people are rather binary :slight_smile: (yes or no and nothing in between)

4 Likes

That is so true. I need a thermostat that just reads Comfortable, Not Comfortable.

3 Likes