Build your own Air Shield

I had some stuff sitting around so I tried to make a quick Air shield for myself. It is made from aluminum vents and some of that fake wood. I’m going to leave my Air in it for a while to see if I notice any temperature variations. It is naturally aspirated in case that isn’t obvious from the picture.My%20screen

2 Likes

I’m afraid the aluminium once hot by the sun will start to heat and act as a radiator inside.

2 Likes

I do wonder about that myself
nice idea though

1 Like

I have the same thought as @eric said, because the aluminium absorb the heat so easily and has a good thermal conduction but it will cool so fast at night, it will be better of you use it as reflector not as the main shield for AIR.

1 Like

I took that constructive feedback as a bit of a challenge. So I headed to Home Depot and found some white plastic louvers. These I have mounted in a new all white fake wood box. So far, so good. The top comes off to retrieve the Air if necessary. 15223453043531375178744

3 Likes

That’s a nice idea. It looks good.

1 Like

did you add some holes in the bottom plate ? This way the natural flow will be easier inside the shield, the plan I have from the original Stevenson shield has 2 long opening in the bottom

Was in a store today and sam about the same kinda louvers but they seemed a bit to small for air to flow easy.

but yours seems nice indeed. Not sure how yo will be able to compare but it is already better then my air setup :wink:

1 Like

Yes the bottom is one third open so lots of air flow through the big holes at the top. So far I’m liking it.

1 Like

how is your shield working ? Did you have sunny days on it ? Overheating ?
Need to quickly make me a shield as the better days are coming and I can’t find a shade spot without overkilling humidity …

2 Likes

The past two days have been sunny. I’ve not had any overheating or any other anomalies.

2 Likes

Hi @kkoenig

I have read through all the post relating to shields for the Air, be it DIY or using the ambient srs100lx off the shelf shield, however I have come across two glaring siting issues.

1 The air is meant to be portable or fixed but in some climes finding suitable shaded area that allows the Air to work efficiently and be permanently sited outdoors is likely to be difficult. A user is unlikely to keep going outside to move it. It defeats the purpose especially in stormy conditions. It could be kept indoors but that again defeats the reason for the Air. A permanent position must be the answer; therefore it would appear to me that a shield should be a defacto option from Weatherflow. Is there one in the pipeline? If so when would it be available?

2 In your FAQ you mention that you have housed the Air in the SRS100lx unit and this is widely available. Unfortunately it is not available in Europe and so another source is required. I cannot find any mention of the exterior dimensions of the Air on the site and this would be most helpful in allowing users to source a suitable shield, or indeed make a DIY unit. Can this be published please. I have the internal dimension form the SRS100lx but as my units have not arrived I cannot be sure that what I would be buying would be perfect. Most Shield sellers publish the OD and not the IDs so trying to buy the right ones is going to be interesting. Publishing the AIR dimensions would go a long way and would be most appreciated.

Please, please say you have shields on the way :slight_smile:

1 Like

if your going to use it in the aegean region in that high UV region also then you definitely need a DIY shield or a good dry shaded area with some windflow , .** note a good dry shaded area positioned well above the ground. forget the SRS100lx its to tight and the actual shield touches or almost touches the AIR unit little room to breathe or any airflow… i have mine using a simple plastic white bathroom ventilator to protect from direct sunlight , i have also had success with reflective UV protector material used for covering car wind screens on hot days…however the reflective material may reduce lightning sensitivity … here in istanbul whilst not as hot and dry as the aegean region and here rather longer periods of more humid feeling with our summer heat .

ultimately it is hoped a dedicated weatherflow option will appear in the future…

1 Like

@weather34,

I agree totally. I have found some UK manufactures who could supply top quality professional shields but my guess is they are going to very expensive as they are made for the scientific fraternity world wide. :frowning: Will not know until later in the week. I will post the link when I get feedback from the manufacturers if favourable.

Glad to hear you comment about how tight the Air was in the SRS100lx. Very good feed back which is why we need the OD of the AIr unit so we can get continuous quality readings.

Cheers

im sure you can find suitable square plastic louvred ventilations in somewhere like b&q or if here in aydin somewhere like koçtaş or tekzen where i got mine for abut 7tl…

just buy 5 or 6 easy to make a square i guess larger would. be better …

2 Likes

Hi @mrburns Good questions. 1 Yes, we are considering the manufacture of a radiation shield to fit the AIR. No confirmed date available quite yet. 2 The AIR has an outside diameter of 68mm and a height of 133mm.

See also: Build your own Air Shield

4 Likes

I’d be another one for a radiation shield. I have read through the discussions on building your own. I’m looking at the plastic bowl design but so far I’m out of luck finding solid white plastic bowls to suit.

As I understand it, the Air needs a radiation shield which allows plenty of air flow to maintain an ambient temperature. I’ve been contemplating making one out of white Coroplast. With the double wall and oriented with the channels generally vertical it might make a decent shield. Thoughts?

I still would prefer one from WeatherFlow.

1 Like

@WFmarketing

Cheers for that.

Also have read the diy version, which was excellent and I may still head that way once I have found the cost of the UK shields.The 68 mm diameter is so relevant to getting the correct plates with suitable airflow around the unit.

took liberty to merge both topics as they talk about the same and info is relevant for all, and all in one place :wink:

1 Like

All of the Coroplast that I have ever purchased is translucent, not opaque. Ironically, I used a piece of scrap material to cover a window over the weekend (to stop my DW’s OCD psycho dog from barking at a chipmunk outside in the yard), and it most certainly lets plenty of diffused light through…

1 Like