ArchiveSW - Display & Data Archive Storage

UDP is a broadcast. It’s like someone talking loud. Anyone in the room can listen. So, the UDP data broadcast by the Hub can be listened to by 1000 applications. The only issue will be if an application binds to the port on a single device. That may prevent other applications on that same device from listening.

I have no experience with weewx. It is a one-size-fits-all application and I wanted something very specific to WeatherFlow. WFArchive plays well with other applications and does not bind to the UDP port exclusively.

I think your RPi should be sufficient for both applications.

5 Likes

Thanks for the explanition I will give it a try soon !

1 Like

Hi Gary,
I was wondering if you ever concidered using a Temperature / humidy sensor attached to the PI for inside temp such as

It would make a nice addition to the “offline” weather station.
Just a thought

1 Like

I do that indirectly within my home automation. I currently use a Z-Wave device from Aeotec:

while I am waiting on the Breathe.

However, it would be simple to add to WFArchive expect I do not have one at this time.

The ability to share the UDP socket was added to the weewx UDP driver back in July, and has been tested pretty thoroughly on the Raspberry Pi…

Changelog:

1.03 2018-07-02 by Arthur Emerson, vreihen@yahoo.com

• Added support to share the open UDP port with other local programs, and made it a configurable option via share_socket = True in weewx.conf. Made it configurable in case there is a Python implementation that doesn’t share the port nicely. Thanks to Ross for making the suggestion and providing a few sample lines, and thanks to @MechEng70 for verifying that the shared socket code works on his computer with another app sharing the port.

• Additional error handling to detect bad/short UDP packets, and handle them more gracefully than a SyntaxError during the eval process. If the eval fails, the received packet is now sent to syslog via logerr. Thanks to WF Forum user pswired for catching this!

Readme:

share_socket = False

Whether or not the UDP socket should be shared with other
local programs also listening for WeatherFlow packets.  Default
is False because I suspect that some obscure Python implementation
will have problems sharing the socket.  Feel free to set it to
True if you have other apps running on your weewx host listening
for WF UDP packets.
3 Likes

While I agree notionally, that’s actually not an absolute for trying to do multiple listener apps on the same computer, depending on how the app(s) open the listening port. You have to be careful and open it as a shared port.

A good example is node-red which seems to open as a listener but not permit other listening apps to try to listen too (their way).

So I agree with @vreihen whose weewx driver does the right thing.

3 Likes

If you read the entire message that’s pretty much what I stated. Any application that binds exclusive to a UDP port is not playing nice.

2 Likes

New updates to WeatherCala and the Panel index.js. I am interested in comments from those that use the Panel and have high winds.

A sample

IMG_20181102_223125

1 Like

Thanks for that I didnt notice that , I 've used in the beginning Weatherdisplay (trial windows) and Weewx but they didn’t like it to run both.

2 Likes

no heavy winds expected for some time but when the circle is white … the direction symbols also white …

1 Like

It looks like it is red to me.

Raspberry pi overheated

Today the raspberry Pi without a case sitting in open air but without a breeze at ambient temp approaching 30 deg it stopped working. Due to my problems during the previous install I had already ordered a heat sink which hasnt arrived yet. So now I have a little usb powered (From a different power supply) cooling fan running onto it and the pi’s temp now remains below 50 deg C. I couldnt run the temp command when it stopped (vcgencmd measure_temp) but it was too hot to touch with my finger.
cheers Ian :slight_smile:

1 Like

You may have a defective RPi.

I mean the N-W-E-S letters on circle are white … you don’t see them since the circle is white
you need to change the color of those 4 letters to contrast the background

2 Likes

I will look into why you are getting a White circle. At that speed it should be grey.

1 Like

think it is Safari related as I indeed see grey on FF.

1 Like

Been awhile since I have updated and I think I have it all updated correctly. Looks like you have busy - good stuff!

Questions and observations:

1. What is the proper way to update? Click the Update button or run the updatefiles (same as the button?) or rerun the entire script?
    Sometimes I just rerun the main install script but that probably is overkill for some updates.

2. If the Update Files script is run, when do I know to update the database schema? Apart from reading through all the forum topics is there a another way to know if the database requires updates?

3. Have you considered limiting the log file size or archiving a log at a certain size ? Sometimes I do not look at the logs for a few weeks and some of the log files can get very large. The Archive Log is big but I have seen larger when the RPi had a hiccup and a file has grown to many megs in size.

4. The Panel looks nice - lots of info there.

5. I have been meaning to figure out how to connect to the database from a Windows PC.
    Can you provide some pointers on a good approach to do accomplish this?

Keep up the good work - cool app!

2 Likes

Ok cool, connected to the database via PC via HeidiSQL.

2 Likes

Guess I had some issues. Daily Stats have some huge gaps of missing data.
10-15 to 10-26 I think is when the WFarchive server stopped - I know I had a few weeks were I did not check on things.
Even yesterday missing. Same with Air Daily Stats.

I took a look at the logs and looks like there were some comm issues.

Not sure what happened - oh well, I have updated thr RPi and WFArchive - will keep an eye on things and see how this next week pans out.

1 Like