[Apple] HomeKit Integration

With IFTTT’s recent subscription cash grab and an alleged insane surprise price increases for service providers, how much longer can we expect IFTTT support to be around???

The recent user pricing changes at IFTTT are definitely a blow to growth and open the door for alternatives to come along. Our provider pricing is quite reasonable and could go up quite a bit before we’d even consider abandoning it. But don’t tell them I said that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’d also love to see HomeKit integration and am a bit surprised it’s not there, especially given other (maybe lesser) weather stations offer it. I’d also imagine slapping a HomeKit badge onto the Tempest would help it sell even better.

HomeKit support is still a moving target, I’m afraid. Yes, there are a handful of weather stations with the badge on the box, but it’s mostly marketing. Since HomeKit does not support outdoor weather parameters, yet, there’s not much you can do with it. We’re watching developments closely and hoping Apple offers real HomeKit support for weather data soon.

2 Likes

HomeKit does support outdoor temperature and humidity, which are valuable data points for home automation routines:

1 Like

That’s true, HomeKit does provide some support for temperature and humidity - thanks for the correction @vreihen. I should not have said it doesn’t “support outdoor weather parameters” because HomeKit doesn’t care if your T/RH sensor is indoors or out. What I should have said is that HomeKit does not currently include the concept of a weather station, nor any parameters a weather station measures other than temperature & humidity. The T & RH services are grouped with HVAC stuff (thermostats, heaters, coolers, fans, filters, etc).

More importantly, the other issue is that HomeKit support is limited to viewing T & RH values in the Home app. So (unless something’s changed recently), you can SEE the values in your Home app, but you can’t USE those values to create automations or do much else because they are not considered “triggers” by HomeKit or the Home app. If that’s not true, please correct me.

Regardless of all this, we still very much intend to support HomeKit! As I’ve explained previously, the current Hub was supposed to support it. It DID support it when we first designed it, but Apple changed the rules (and dramatically increased the hardware requirements) before we could finish the implementation. That hardware, even though it includes the special Apple MFI authentication coprocessor, no longer has enough oomph to run the HomeKit code. Our friends at Netatmo have a similar story (though it looks like theirs was even more frustrating than ours!).

I’m sorry if it sounds like I’m making excuses - I guess I am! :slight_smile: But we are pressing forward!! The Pro Hub, which continues to be delayed for a number of different issues, has the extra processing and storage power (along with the MFI coprocessor) that it needs to support HomeKit. So, unless Apple moves the goal posts again, the Pro Hub will be able to support HomeKit. We have even completed a proof-of-concept with a prototype Pro Hub where the Tempest Hub could control a HomeKit light bulb (it was an exciting moment!).

Thanks for your understanding and patience!

4 Likes

Is it acting as a “hub” that can run its own automations to control HomeKit devices, as a workaround to Apple’s refusal thus far to let temperature be used as an automation trigger?

FWIW, third-party iOS apps can trigger scenes (but not trigger devices) based on temperatures, if someone really wants to go that route. Personally, I use a dedicated HA hub for all of my automations, and only use HomeKit as a Siri UI from my Apple Watch via HomeBridge…

No, the PoC was one of their reference applications, which simply confirmed we could do “HomeKit things” with the hub hardware. We are not planning to have the Tempest Hub run as a general HomeKit “hub” - the plan is to simply expose the data to an existing HomeKit environment. And hopefully Apple will come around and add a set of weather station service specs.

3 Likes

God’s Speed on integration with HomeKit, God’s Speed!!!

Add my vote to the list as well. I use Apple HomeKit for home automation as well. It would be another perk for the Tempest system. Not sure what it will take for the developer to add the feature. I know it takes some time meet Apple’s standards and to get Apple’s approval for HomeKit compatibility, but it would be a welcomed feature. Voted!

Can’t it just be a generic sensor? Temp, wetness, lux? Or does it have to do with certification that I be “outdoor” doesn’t Philips Hue outdoor motion sensors have many of the same type sensors types?

Perfect settings at home is only possible with a good weather station.
And only with accurate data you can perfectly control the irrigation and set the air conditioning to the right temperature.
This way you can also save energy.

That’s why I am for a FULL INTEGRATION in HomeKit.

1 Like

Gets my vote - please continue to consider this and/or Matter support.

2 Likes

2+ years later, still waiting for this feature

1 Like

Are there any updates on the Pro Hub with HomeKit support? I know alot of people have asked this question before, but I can’t find any recent news on how the development is going.

I can’t help thinking that a lot of people on here have a misunderstanding of what HomeKit integration would actually give you. The only meteorological data that HK supports is temperature and humidity - so that’s all you’d get in Home; there’s no support of things like rainfall, windspeed etc and there’s no indication of Apple extending HomeKit to support these anytime soon. Nor does HomeKit support historical data, only live feeds from supported devices. Anyone thinking that HomeKit integration would give an alternative to to native Tempest app would be very disappointed.

5 Likes

There is a lot of requests for different vendor integrations. Isn’t is better to go for the new universal standard ‘Matter’ instead, then all vendors can interchange data.

At this point, yes it is better to go for Matter instead. This thread has been around for years, Matter wasn’t an option until very recently.

1 Like

Makes sense. Just thought it worth noting since the thread is still open.

HK integration could easily include sensors/switches for detection of rainfall, lightning, etc. that can be used to create automations in HomeKit.