Would you rather mount to a roof top or an open field?

Greetings everyone! I just ordered my tempest to replace another brand that died on me. Looking forward to setting it up! Trying to decide the best place to put it this time. If you had the choice, would you rather mount to a roof top (18’) for the height or put it in a large open field but lower to the ground? Fence post style. I live on several acres so either is very doable. Neighbors are far away, but I am surrounded by orchards around 400’ away in all directions.

1 Like

I would recommend open field at least initially due to the many issues folks have had with Tempests having issues requiring replacement or resets, but let safety be your guide.

If you go low, you’ll be optimizing for temperature+humidity. If you go high you’ll be optimizing for wind readings (assuming the roof doesn’t cause your temperatures to read too high).

2 Likes

I just mounted one in a small field next to my house. It shouldn’t have the same temperature effects due to roof or wall reflections and I think it will give better wind readings even though it is only ~9.5 feet above the ground. I have others ~6 feet above the top of my furnace chimney and at ~3 feet in my back yard. Each one has different variations depending on the time of day and year.

If I were you, I’d mount it in the field.

1 Like

Go for the open field. Roof you will get false rain reports once you hit 45 mph

1 Like

Yay I was hoping for that answer. Thats where I had the last one and it seemed to work well enough. Thanks everyone!

2 Likes

The best default answer would be to comply to the NWS standards for anemometer height vs. air temperature height.

For me? I wonder if it’s more important to know the wind on top of my roof or where I’ll be experiencing the wind/windchill. Sure you’ll hear good stuff from others in our family.

That is impossible with the Tempest. You can’t mount it at ‘both’ chest level for Temperature and at 10m level for wind. You need to pick which one you optimize for (or go with someplace in the middle and sub-optimize both).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 540 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.