Wind speed very low

Hi Folks,

Currently we are having moderately high wind speeds of 10m/s or higher. My Sky is only registering up to 2-6m/s which is no where near the ± 40km/h we should be reading and gusting higher.

I’ve used my Kerstrel Handheld meter out the window for about 2-minutes and seen average of around 15km/h and highs over 33km/h.

We’ve had high winds over the last few weeks but not much highs recorded on the Sky.

Can someone advise?

My station is https://smartweather.weatherflow.com/station/2434/grid

Just as I’m writing, see some higher recordings measured.

Thanks,
Gordon

Hi @gmr670

Starting last winter, after that brutal cold snap, we had indeed identified a defect present in at least some of the ultrasonic transducers that limits their operation (within accuracy spec) to roughly -22 C (-7 F) despite being rated to -40 C/F. We had worked with the manufacturer to resolve this defect in new production units.

But looking at the temperature data, your AIR was only reading lows around 0 C so this potential manufacturing defect wouldn’t explain your low wind speed data.

Maybe there was some snow/ice buildup in the gap of the SKY unit?
How are your wind readings looking now?

Hi WF,

Right now the winds are showing much higher readings yet the outside winds are lower that the time of original writing. Of course there may have been build up on the ultrasonic sensors but with the unit so high up, it’s a challenge to get to . I’ll monitor the wind over the next number of days and see if I can observer a correlation between what I measure with the Kestrel unit and what the Sky reports.

Is there a way I can observe ‘live’ wind data as opposed to data from your servers?

Regards,
Gordon

if you mean by live get the local data (which is similar to what you see from server) then go read this section
There are several very nice scripts to catch the local UDP packages and from there you can do whatever you want with it … send it to a database, etc etc

1 Like

Hi Eric,

Many thanks for the reply. I think I’ll consider a Raspberr Pi to capture the UDP packets and process from there.

Regards

Gordon

1 Like

You can look at ArchiveSW to either install and it will capture all the data or as examples on how to capture the data.

3 Likes

Thank you Gary, I’ll look into this option also!
Regards,
Gordon

1 Like

Hello WF,

My Sky unit has been offline for about 18-hours at time of writing. The solar battery voltage has dropped to 2.54v.

I’m wondering if perhaps the reason the wind measurements have not worked so well?

The weather had not been so poor that the solar powered batteries would not charge even though we’ve had some foggy days.

Please advise.

Regards

Gordon

Hello Gordon

I just had a look at your data (your webpage ) and I see it is freezing or near freezing for several days. As mentioned in this topic the solar panel is not charging when it is cold as it would irreversibly damage the battery. Also when it was warmer you don’t seem to get much light … gray dull days I guess …
Depending on weather conditions for Ireland (if it stays cold) I’d put back normal batteries for the winter and let the solar panel recharge inside the house near a window. Once you’re pretty sure the weather warms up, you can put it back under the sky and it will do it’s job again.

If you have the panel, check for eventual water ingress as there is a series having that problem. Next you can test the panel by letting it charge inside the house for several days (hopefully some sunny days) and then put it under the sky again and see if it works.
If you see water leaking out the panel or it still doesn’t work after several days charging in a warm room, contact support@weatherflow.com and they will help you out directly.

1 Like

Hi Eric,

The purpose of me investing in the solar-charging battery is for hassle-free operation or as close to as possible. I don’t want to have to go up 6-meters to remove this device for winter and replace in summer - I may as well keep climbing up and changing batteries twice a year.

That being said, I’ve opened the solar charger and there was water in the unit I’ll attach photos is I can. Before opening the device, the voltage at the two power pins was around 0.6v. Once opened and water drained, the voltage jumped to 2.7v.

It appears the water has come from the battery compartment and seeped in via the power wires from the solar cells. The solar cells has moisture on them but the cells themselves seem to be a sealed unity so not really a major issue in my view. The water in the battery compartment has likely flooded the compartment and that’s been the core reason for losing power.

We’ve had very cold and foggy days before this with no issues that I recall seeing.,

1 Like

I don’t think the water entered the battery compartment around the wires from the solar panel, I think it entered around the seal. Look at the second to last picture. I was surprised to see how the seal was placed in the SPA. It didn’t surprise me to see water in the battery compartment. When I took one of mine apart after it failed I then understood why there was water on top of the pole mount.

The battery voltage was 0.3V and has now gone up to over 3.2V after sitting on a window sill for several days. I installed my spare SPA and wrapped that self sticking rubber tape around the joint between the SKY and the SPA. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts. My other SPA and the field test SPA are still working.

1 Like

My wording is confusing. The water I believe entered the battery compartment and then seeped into the solar panel compartment at the power wires hole between compartments attached to (from) the solar cells.

I’d agree the seal is where the water entered into the battery compartment. I may have to seal it up similar to yours with tape.

I’ll leave it open a few days to ensure any moisture have evaporated.

1 Like

Hi Eric,

I have the Sky running on batteries. In the last day or so, data from the Sky unit has stopped. I can still see battery level but wind and light info seems to have stopped.

Rain also seems to be showing but I don’t understand why wind and UV are not showing up. Is the Sky unit broken?

Thanks,
Gordon

Gordon

on the webpage for your station, you have a green little bullet down the page (right side), push on it and the page will flip over with lots of details.

In Sky section look for sensor status, I wouldn’t be surprised you see some sensor failed status.

If so, yes the sensor has hardware problems and you should open a support ticket, WF will follow up with you and if confirmed probably send you a new unit

Please open a ticket at http://got.wf/contact or by emailing support@weatherflow.com