Wind speed suddenly too high

Just after 8AM EDT this morning Tempest started reporting wind speed much higher than actual. It is very calm outside and I’m certain there was no 26 mph gust and no regular 14 mph gusts. I just climbed up next to the device and feel almost no breeze. Any thoughts?

https://tempestwx.com/station/19585/grid

Thanks,

Jim.

Not sure what could cause that. I took liberty to reboot your Tempest and it is still showing the westerly dominant flow.

Can you have a look in the 4 sensor holes for eventually somme little sneaky animal in there (spider, ant …) and eventually move it for 10 minutes to another place to exclude some local weirdness like upwards wind or so …

1 Like

Thanks Eric.

Shortly after you rebooted it the readings are much closer to what I would expect. There is a slight breeze now. I still think the gusts may be a little high but everything is trending down. I’ll leave it for now and if it doesn’t settle down in a few hours I will try moving it for a few minutes as you suggested.

It doesn’t show in my initial picture but I do see some dust/pollen on the lower side of the wind sensor. I was hesitant to wipe it down and press to hard on something or otherwise make things worse. If I do try to clean it out how would you suggest I do it? Can I touch the top side in the wind sensor area too?

Thanks,

Jim.

1 Like

little dust won’t affect the readings. You can clean it out but be careful not to rub off the coating, clean with a soft wet cloth.

The aluminium sensors are robust and you can clean them but not much more to expect then dust and or little animals in the opening. Though we saw a case of oxydation (the protective coat was never applied and after 2 years it showed some pitting).

Hopefully it solves your case