Wind reporting high - power save mode

you should place it on a clear view of the sky to get better idea, not on the sheltered place.

crude test until you get it up in the air … get an hairdyer turn it to cold or cool output stand aprox 10feet away and point it at the sky , not meant to record accurate measurements but to break down your concern… move circular .

note any solid object behind it will reflect the windflow back hence clear view at 360 degrees .

1 Like

@Cole Please also be aware: SKY: wind sensor initial self adjust

1 Like

Thanks for the ideas everyone, and @WFmarketing thanks for weighing in. I’m aware of the calibration period however still thought it odd that very high, nearly constant wind values were being reported and once power save mode was turned off the values went down to something much more believable as there is nearly no wind in that location.

In any event, I’ve taken it offline in preparation for installation in a permanent site where it will be exposed to wind.

I will see how it behaves once up on the roof.

I read your post and decided to experiment. I put my SKY in low-power mode and it too began reading 5-10 mph when a moment before, in regular power mode, it was reading 0-2 mph (mostly zero.) I’ve had my SKY for three weeks so it should be calibrated unless it re-calibrates itself each time you change power modes. Strange.

@Cole @davest123 Humm, strange in deed. Quite literally the only difference in power save mode is the frequency in sampling – every 15sec vs. every 3sec. Curious to know if your observation of lower wind speed is in reference to the instant values (shown dynamically every x seconds in the wind dial) or the 1 min avg ? Let us know if you keep seeing this and we’ll investigate further. Have a great weekend. Cheers!

BTW, when you toggle the power mode…it takes +1min for the sensor device to react as it syncs with the 1min communication interval of the HUB.

1 Like

Casual observation:

3 seconds to 15 seconds is 4X.

0 MPH to 5 MPH (low end of ranges) is 5X.

2 MPH to 10 MPH (high end of ranges) is 4X.

Is there still a “3” hard-coded in the calculations somewhere???

1 Like

Here’s what it looks like in Weather Display. The top image is with Power Save Mode on and the bottom image is with it off. WF_windspeed The time from right to left is about 5 minutes.

I turned the Power Save Off at 9:32 PM. You can see how Weather Flow at first responds by sending the speed more rapidly but still at the same speed but then drops to 0 MPH.

1 Like

Here is a screen shot of the wind values. You can see at about 2100 I turned power save mode off.

@davest123 looks like the exact same behaviour your seeing as well.

@WFmarketing all values were reporting high, instant and average. As you can see about 5 - 10 knots high.

2 Likes

@dsj Check the code to ensure the minute average is divided by 4 and not 20 when in power save mode.

2 Likes

I noticed the same thing on my SKY–after putting in power-saving

Same for me. Had been in Power Save Mode and was getting a lot of reported information. Calm/still here this morning. Turned Power Save Mode off for an hour and the unit reported information that was consistent with our visual observations. As soon as the mode was enabled again the reported readings were not a match to actual conditions again.

1 Like

Thanks to all. It seems there is clearly an issue, at least in certain conditions. We’re looking at the data and the code and should have an answer soon.

3 Likes

Thanks for the help. We found the issue and will be resolved in a future update to the HUB firmware.

2 Likes

Would love to know the root cause. :+1:

1 Like

My guess is as simple math error. Am I close?

1 Like

A filter was being incorrectly applied for zero wind speeds. You can also reproduce in regular power mode by placing the SKY in a still environment for a few minutes.

2 Likes

Ah. That would explain why it was non-linear and it seemed to calculate correctly at times.

2 Likes

That’s awesome you guys figured it out. I thought I was crazy at first.

@dsj @WFmarketing despite some of the nay saying I’ve seen here, as this issue highlights, the quick response to issues and the level of community engagement and transparency from weather flow has been absolutely second to none. You guys are really passionate about your product and it shows! Keep up the awesome work!

9 Likes

Well said, Cole. I’ve been seeing this from WeatherFlow for the past two years.

4 Likes