Wind reading way low since battery replacement

Well, wind is really up and station continues to match a number of other stations nearby. Toggled to normal power mode. Ran normal numbers for about 3 minutes then went back to rediculously low values. Left it for a bit, then put it back to pwr save mode. After about 30 seconds, all data went to hashes - - - - - then immediately to 29 kts as first reading. Plot valley below when on normal pwr mode.

Screenshot_20181023-105523_Smart%20Weather Screenshot_20181023-105821_Smart%20Weather

Looks roughly reading at about 1/5 what it should be?

1 Like

Hi Chuck. Thanks for the extensive trouble-shooting. We’re looking into this and should have an answer for you soon!

1 Like

Update. We think we’ve found the issue (it’s not a simple math error, unfortunately). We’re working on a solution. Thanks again for the help finding this bug.

2 Likes

Thanks David. Happy to have you mess with my setting if helpful.

Any updates on this?

Hi Chuck. We’re very close to testing a firmware update to address this issue. Do you want to help beta test it?

I would be happy to as long as I don’t have to physically be near the devices.

Nope, it’s completely hands-off… unless something goes wrong. :slight_smile:

Cool…such great technology. I have someone that can visit the site if something did go wrong.

1 Like

I will watch for a time over next day or so when I know it is windy based on webcam visuals…and then put setting back to normal update mode to see if the problem persists prior to any firmware push. The other local station owner with the problem will also be in for testing if needed.

I am having the same issue of wind registering too low. It has never been accurate though.

As mentioned elsewhere, we’ve just pushed a beta firmware update that should help with the “low winds reported in steady, strong winds” issue to @eric, @chuck.tatham, @davidlusskin and a handful of others. Please let us know if you notice an improvement or any change at all. Thanks!

Thanks John. Had been messing with my settings when your note came in. I am watching the conditions on webcam and it is extremely windy and forecast is to be very strong all day… it is still reading low. Conditions are averaging 20kts easily and its showing avg under 10kts.

White cap density confirms and another wind station very close is avg 23 kts

maybe to soon for any conclusion

this is a screenshot when both hub’s were on V98, only difference is the firmware of the sky’s (captured UDP data via node-red)

as you can see the 8x version is not recording much under 2 km/h while the 9x till gives data

this is taken last night after the 9x upgraded to v99

in short, same behaviour

@dsj : can the sky’s firmware difference be playing here ??

sky8x is 43 (prod version) and sky9x is 41 (pre prod version)

we’re not expecting high winds coming days, if previsions are right :slight_smile:

I’m 100% that it has not fixed the issue unfortunately

I can also report that the behavior of correct readings on power save mode is still in play. This now shows the true wind conditions having toggled it on. Screenshot_20181110-110818_Smart%20Weather

1 Like

And back to power save mode off. Clearly wrong.

Screenshot_20181110-130609_Smart%20Weather
Screenshot_20181110-131540_Smart%20Weather

1 Like

I have a test setup in my winter garden.
I will go out and catch both my Skys tomorrow one from the Hub Version 99 one from 98.
I would have expected an update to the Skys firmware… don’t you ?

WF has never upgraded the firmware form air or sky, only hub

Guess the risk to send something via wifi and then again via radio … microcut and you have a bricked device.

2 Likes